Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

need front end advice

akitagandy

I am new to buckets,but my father would like us to build one before he gets to old and I have some parts laying around and wondered if I could use them like a front axle out of a 54 Chevy truck,Nova disc brakes,10 bolt Nova rearend.I am all about saving money.I am 48 and have built all kinds of race cars,I can build the frame and radius rods but I am nt to sure about the front end. Thanks Michael (Southaven MS)

michael, i understand building on a budget. it can be done, but sometimes choices like these will end up costing more than the tried and proven choices. most of the T's you look at will have Ford or variations of Ford parts used for the front end. the biggest reason is part availablity. the after market has always embraced Ford parts. as a result most repos are cheaper than the GM's counter parts. the other thing to consider (as i keep saying) is resale value. you will, somewhere down the road, sell your pride and joy. this is where money spent really pays off. buyers exspect to see certain part on a T. if they're not there, the price will drop. if you are going to put your blood and sweat into this T, why not get what it's really worth on the other end of ownership. this is just my opinion, but think about it before you spend your money.

Ron

I agree 100%. I've seen some truck type axles that have been done so they don't look too bad, but since the front axle on a T, or any hotrod for that matter, is a major design element, it pays to spend a couple of bucks up there. Speedway, MAS, and others have some very nice setups that are not out of line at all, and by the time you add up the components, you will spend more doing it the other way.

Just my opinion.

Don

Good stuff you've been told already,but if your still thinking ya wish to use that axle ya got. Ask your self how complete is it,dose it need any new brake parts or other parts at all,are the brakes on it what yu'll use if there OK and will it clean up to look like ya wish,then fig that cost to just gitting set up as already talked about.;)

Talk to RPM for a price before you make the final choice. He does better work for the same money than the manufacturers because he loves these cool little cars we love so much.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back