Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Need Help to Bypass Gov't Regs

all-world1

A few weeks ago, Snowtires PM'd me and made reference to some vehicle equipment regulations specific to Manitoba (thanks for that Snowtires). So I looked into it a little more and, yes indeed, the "overregulated" Province of Manitoba has a few more challenges to overcome more specifically regarding buckets and here's the worst:
1. All passenger vehicles require fenders or mud guards.
2. All passenger vehicles require front and rear bumpers.:eek:

Fenders
Fenders I can handle. I kinda figured I'd need them and factored this into the build.

Bumpers
Bumpers are another story. After a rod passes inspection, we all know that things happen, so I'm keeping an open mind here.

Rear Bumper
According to several sources, the use of a pickup bed allows the bucket to be registered as a truck and therefore a rear bumper would not be required. Since I am using a Model A rear crossmember, what I'm thinking here is to install a very basic wood pickup bed, temporarily bolted to the rear frame rails between the kick and the xmember. Once the car passes inspection, adios pickup unless it looks just too good...hmmm. I did a little bit of mickey mouse sketch, but I think you'll see where I'm going with this.

Front Bumper
This is where I'm stuck. Never seen a bumper on a bucket, so if anyone has any ideas about something temporary I could rig up, I'd really appreciate your feedback.

Craig

But Don what about the gators, and I don't meen the football team. Then there are snakes and lots of bugs. We don't have gators in TN, and we don't have any real rules to go by he either. :rolleyes:

I saw a guy witha back bumper made froma hydraulic cylinderHe picked up from a hydraulics repair business they come in 2 and 3" sizes are chrome.These also protect in case of rear collision where is your gas tank? I was also talking with RPM about that gas tank pickups should not be on the bottom in case of accident then all the gas drains.

I'd say it's time to move. :rolleyes:

I've seen very few T-buckets with bumbers, but the few I have seen were using Nerf bar type bumbers.
Decker14.jpg

Or SC Craig, but then they'll tax the heck out of you, especially in Beaufort County. :eek:

It would be a shame to have to go through all the time and expense to fab up a front nerf similar to what is used on open wheel modified stock cars or Track T's only to remove it later.

I visualized doing something similar to my TP car to protect the front mounted tie rod. It would have to go up, over, and out and would not look good. So, I'll do with out.

Jim

That box you designed could be a useful addition to you car on trips. If it were designed to be removable, you would have the best of two worlds.

The spare tire covers from an early '30's Ford will work for your front fenders. The only drawback there would be the cost of the cover. Check with some of the motorcycle shops around you. I've seen bike fenders used on the front that looked good. For the rear fenders, look at what the farm stores have to offer.

For the front bumper you might want to talk to who ever is going to do the inspecting first. Some times they won't let a T type push bar go. We were required to have 2 bars that extended from the center of the tread one one tire to the center on the other one. That was in the '60's. Thank God they don't look at that anymore.

You might be able to get thru inspection with a clamp on front bumper on the axle. just don't let the inspector stand on it.

Ron

Iowa has the same bumper/fender requirement. I was lucky that I knew someone who was a car builder who knew an inspector so I got mine inspected before the car was half completed. I was told that I could have just made brackets and attached 2x4s for bumpers and I could have made fenders out of corrugated cardboard, shaped them and laminated them with fiberglass resin and made temporary mounts. I don't know if that would have passed or not. As I said in another thread, I don't understand why they have the requirement. After the car passes inspection the fenders and bumpers are coming off and not having them is never enforced so what's the point. Steve

Hey Craig,

If you go tjo the Pony on a Sunday Night at Grant park and speak to a Liz Kitzel, She has been driving a Bucket for many years (Lipstick run) and aworks for the city. She does not run bumpers but has a small P/U box on the back. I don't want to run bumpwers either thats why i dug into it

Give it a whirl

snowtires said:
Hey Craig,

If you go tjo the Pony on a Sunday Night at Grant park and speak to a Liz Kitzel, She has been driving a Bucket for many years (Lipstick run) and aworks for the city. She does not run bumpers but has a small P/U box on the back. I don't want to run bumpwers either thats why i dug into it

Give it a whirl
I've seen her car and now it's worth a chat. Thanks man.

You guys are geniuses, I never thought of push/nerf bars. It's worth looking into to see if they would be allowed, and then the next step is to design a removable version, especially for the front.

Thanks for everyone's input...it's greatly appreciated. Please keep me in mind if you ever come across any pics I could use.

The Model T's all came with fenders from the factory. The ones pictured above are speedsters that were built from stock T's. As for bumpers, They were an option in '26 and standard in late '27.

Ron

I didn't realize they were as tall as they are. I'm not positive but isn't that a 200 pound Bull Mastiff by the black car?

Man, everytime I see a speedster like the green one , I start getting the urge to build one. That one's even got a dropped axle on it. Guess I'll just have to be content to have a speedster on my bucket (pun intended) list for now.

Ron

putz said:
I saw a guy witha back bumper made froma hydraulic cylinderHe picked up from a hydraulics repair business they come in 2 and 3" sizes are chrome.These also protect in case of rear collision where is your gas tank? I was also talking with RPM about that gas tank pickups should not be on the bottom in case of accident then all the gas drains.

Gas tank will be above the model A crossmember. The hydraulic cylinder sounds interesting but I can't picture what the end result looks like.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back