Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Need Help With Coil Over Springs

johnstacy

I want to make my car ride smoother and softer over bad roads and bumps. I have Afco 165lb springs on the rear shocks, what if i changed them to 125 lb springs? Would this help make a softer ride or would it cause another problem i don't know about?

Going from a 165 to a 125 is a big change, . I would opt for something in between if possible. Of course if the spring is too soft it won't hold the car up,at the correct height.

What size rear tires are you running? And how much air pressure? If your running the big ones it should ride pretty good with 10-15 lbs. of pressure.

I don't know if it would apply to you, but I just got a kit from Spirit and they supplied 140lb springs with it. It's not built yet so I can't give you any info...

What size rear tires are you running? And how much air pressure? If your running the big ones it should ride pretty good with 10-15 lbs. of pressure.
I'm running 295 -60 - 15 with 32 lbs i think i'll try dropping the pressure down and see what happens

Thats a heavy spring for a T bucket. I have 90lb on mine. I know usually they are in the lower 1xx for t-buckets.

165lb shocks are fine if you have the angle right, chart in speedway, match up the weight with the angle you are going to put them at. My 165's are on a 22 deg. angle, work just fine. Your never going to make them ride like a caddy.
Jerry

Straight up mounting of coils is 165lb as stated previously the more angle the less the rate becomes. 165lb spring mounted at 20 deg is 145 lb. according to the speedway chart.

Straight up mounting of coils is 165lb as stated previously the more angle the less the rate becomes. 165lb spring mounted at 20 deg is 145 lb. according to the speedway chart.

Mine are mounted at 18 degrees. I have adjusted them almost all the way out and reduced tire air pressure to 19 lbs this seems to have helped soften it up. I'll know as soon as the wife takes it across some railroad tracks

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back