Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New Computer

hutchman

I've been having trouble with our older laptops....one is having hardware issues from me dropping it and the other has a bug that I can't get rid of. Neither is worth fixing, so I've been looking at something new to replace them both.

My wife is using an ipad in addition to here iphone, so her needs are handled....I just needed something for me.

I switched to androids several years ago and like the way they operate, so an android tablet was on my list in addition to a full fledged laptop. My phone is a new Samsung Note 4, so the Note Pro 12/2 seemed to me to be a logical choice for a tablet. I've seen it written several places on the internet that the Note Pro 12.2 is nearly a laptop, so I bought one. Let me be the first to tell you, whomever it was that wrote that, must live in either WA or CO where they have legal pot....'cause he/she was smoking something the day he wrote that!!

The Note Pro 12.2 is more nearly a large phone that can't be used for one rather than a small laptop. The limitations of the tablet are numerous, but for me the inability to open an new tab in a window and still listen to a youtube video was nearly all I needed to take it back.

However, in addition to that, you cannot embed a youtube video from it.....at least I couldn't figure out how to in the nearly 5 hours I spent on it. They will tell you the battery life is excellent....rubish...mine was down in the low 20% range after 5 hours. You can only open 4 windows.....ever. No more than 4. There are other limitations, but suffice to say, I quickly learned that it was not for me....at least yet. Next generation who knows...but it appears to me these new high priced tablets should be more clearly marked as large phones that you can't talk on rather than near laptps.

The only one that appears to me to be a true laptop, but can be used as a tablet is tne Microsoft Surface Pro series. They run real PC products such as Windows 8, which brings me to my next rant.

Windows 8.....

I got my Dad a new computer here a while back with W8 and I hated it. He can't even use the thing now as it is so much different than his other one. I've tried to tell him how to get to the desktop, but he just can't remember. Yesterday I found a way to make the computer open up in the desktop mode so I'll try that for him.

For me however, I have come to tolerate W*

My new computer has a touch screen, which I did not know at purchase. Operating W8 with the touch screen makes it very usable. Now that I understand it and have the touch screen, I don't think I would go back. It's quick and direct to get to programs, It's easy to make changes to the home page.

All in all, it works pretty dang good. I would not have said that about it before discovering my touch screen and the Windows Home button on the bottom of the display on my computer. It's actually in the plastic surround and I thought it was just decoration. Come to find out it's a powerful tool to get back to the home page.

There ya go.....

Ubuntu Linux had touch screen support back in 2011, so Microsoft's 'recent innovation' isn't really such big news. And some of the 'new functions' of Win 10 are pretty much old hat, as well. I started using Linux in April 2007 and I had multiple desktops, back then. Windows To Go is not new, because Linux users have been creating boot-able USB sticks forever. Ubuntu added the 'Me' menu back in April 2010, so the Win 8 social media integration is old hat. Microsoft is now touting USB 3.0 integration, but didn't that actually work in Win 7? I'll see your ReFS Microsoft, and raise you ZFS and BTRFS. The Win 10 release shows Redmond is doing a fair job of playing catch-up.

It's a bit strange for me, because I was always prepared to help others sort their Windows problems, but I jumped off the train from Redmond almost three years ago. And I have never bothered looking back. I know not a doggone thing about Win 8 or Win 10. If I have to use a computer over on the campus, I find Win 7 now confuses the daylights out of me, it has been so long.

I think if more people catch on to the trick of reviving the Home button on Win 8, then they would feel more comfortable with using it, but the problem still remains that the majority of home computer users do not have touch screens, so trying to introduce touch screen technology is fighting an uphill battle.

I can only imagine. I still question the wisdom of trying to develop touch-screen technology for a desktop operating system. I wouldn't want touch screen, because I am the guy who has to grab the glass cleaner if there is a tiny smudge on the screen.

I am running the Linux on one computer, and running Winows 7 on the other. I only use the Windows because there are several programs that will not run on the Linux. UPS Worldship is one and we use it a lot. I find the Linux harder to use than Windows, but it is virus free, so you can click on anything and not worry. I don't surf the net on the Window only 2-3 programs and web sites I visit. This being one of them, as Mike has done a great job protecting us all.

I am hearing a lot of scuttlebutt, from a handful of reliable sources, that Microsoft just might be giving away free upgrades to Windows 10 to all of their Windows 7 and Windows 8 customers. Damage control, perhaps? o_O The bottom line is that Microsoft is between a rock and hard place, because one of their revenue streams is completely reliant on people buying new PC computers. But nearly all Linux desktop distros are free of charge, and Apple is giving away its Yosemite upgrades, so if Microsoft tries charging for Win 10 upgrades, it is going to drive away customers in droves. Then again, no need to shed any tears for Microsoft, as their Enterprise revenue stream will keep the Gates family in silk drawers for ever and ever.

Ron, your experience seems to be on par with most people who use both Windows and Linux. It's a bit like keeping a pair of old work boots, after buying a new pair. The new pair of boots are really nice, but the old ones just feel so much more comfortable to you. And Windows is likely the same way. With Linux, you are not as familiar with it, so you don't have a lot of muscle memory built up around it. Windows, on the other hand, you've used for years, so you know right where to find everything you want.

Seriously, give me a Windows 7 desktop and I am like a fish out of water. I cannot remember where to find things, or how to do things. My muscle memory is completely adapted to a Linux/Cinnamon desktop.

Reactions: RPM
Ron, your experience seems to be on par with most people who use both Windows and Linux. It's a bit like keeping a pair of old work boots, after buying a new pair. The new pair of boots are really nice, but the old ones just feel so much more comfortable to you. And Windows is likely the same way. With Linux, you are not as familiar with it, so you don't have a lot of muscle memory built up around it. Windows, on the other hand, you've used for years, so you know right where to find everything you want.

Seriously, give me a Windows 7 desktop and I am like a fish out of water. I cannot remember where to find things, or how to do things. My muscle memory is completely adapted to a Linux/Cinnamon desktop.

Yep you are exactly right. I have been using Windows, since 3.0, and a dial up external 300 modem. Anyone remember Prodigy? Then came AOL. So yea I knew my way around pretty good. I have only been using Linux for about 6 months now. This old dog is having a hard time learning new tricks. But I ain't giving up.

Yessir, if you keep after it, you will pick up what you need. Heck, we all used to have rotary-dial phones in our homes, didn't we? (You young whippersnappers need not reply. :laugh: )

Someone asked me the other day about a good image editing program for Windows. When I ran Windows, I lived in IrfanView, but it took me about 10 minutes to even remember the name of the program. These days, Mirage does a lot of what I used to do with IrfanView.

Just getting to know the name of Linux scripts can be a real time-saver. gedit or Leafpad, rather than Notepad. Mirage, rather than IrfanView. GIMP rather than Photoshop. FileZilla, rather than SmartFTP. LibreOffice Calc, rather than Excel. LibreOffice Impress, rather than PowerPoint. LibreOffice Writer, rather than Word. VLC, or Clementine, rather than Media Player.

I still do all the same things I always did in Windows. And in most cases, I do those things faster than I could do them in Windows.

Reactions: RPM
Yessir, if you keep after it, you will pick up what you need. Heck, we all used to have rotary-dial phones in our homes, didn't we? (You young whippersnappers need not reply. :laugh: )

Someone asked me the other day about a good image editing program for Windows. When I ran Windows, I lived in IrfanView, but it took me about 10 minutes to even remember the name of the program. These days, Mirage does a lot of what I used to do with IrfanView.

Just getting to know the name of Linux scripts can be a real time-saver. gedit or Leafpad, rather than Notepad. Mirage, rather than IrfanView. GIMP rather than Photoshop. FileZilla, rather than SmartFTP. LibreOffice Calc, rather than Excel. LibreOffice Impress, rather than PowerPoint. LibreOffice Writer, rather than Word. VLC, or Clementine, rather than Media Player.

I still do all the same things I always did in Windows. And in most cases, I do those things faster than I could do them in Windows.

Yessir, if you keep after it, you will pick up what you need. Heck, we all used to have rotary-dial phones in our homes, didn't we?

I still have a dial wall phone that works. Never giving it up!

How about party lines 2shorts and 1 long

Who remembers before dial phones. And operator, said number please

Ron... I remember that. My Dad worked for 30 years for Southern Bell which was Ma Bell (the Real Phone Company as he use to say) as the toll test board supervisor. That was all long distant service and the operators switch board walked across the hall. After school many a day I would walk to his office and hang out till he got through for the day. Pretty much grew up in that place. Literally thousands of electric relays in tall vertical racks that all calls went through. There was the constant clicking of the contacts closing as people dialed their numbers. Over in the operators area they still had the old wooden switch boards that she had to plug in to route your call after you gave her the number you wanted to call. That was still the system up into the early '70s and probably later. I moved to Texas so I don't really know when they changed that. When they did take all that equipment out they tried to give it away as they could not sell it per policy. My Dad ask my mother if she wanted any of it being as she collected antiques and her response was "What do I want all that junk for?" Big mistake on her part as years later she saw it for sell at very high prices. Finally after the phone company had failed give any of it away they sunk it in the Tennessee River. At some point after he retired they replaced all the switching equipment to a computer system. I ask him how much room it took up compared to his two story 15,000 sq ft per level phone company office. A box about the size of a VW Bug was his answer. Lot's of people lost their jobs due to that technology but I guess you can't change progress. I still like the older AT&T phones whether rotary dail or push button and will continue to use them as long as possible. Besides, as my old drinking partner use to say "These new phones make lousy weapons. Hit an SOB with the handset and it broke in half!" He did have a valid point!

George

That must really confuse the kids!

Probably would with the current generation. That cord would sure get their attention. My son grew up hanging around all my sorry friends and now he's as bad as were are about new stuff. Not sure if I cursed or blessed him.

How about party lines 2shorts and 1 long

I do remember that. Also learned Morse Code and was able to use a key. My granddad and his two brothers were all dispatchers for the Illinois Central Railroad. They were all key operators using the American Morse Code also known as the Railroad Morse Code. He could run two keys at the same time sending different message. I was never even a mediocre operator. Never got a HAM license either. I don't think you have to take that test for a license anymore.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back