Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New Computer!

norseman

We decided to go stimulate the economy a bit today and buy a new computer.
Looks like Im going to drop off the face of the earth for a few days till I get the DSL installed and get my new legs under me. Ive had this computer for nearly 12 years which is a very long time for a disposeable thing. It had posted thousands and thousands of messages, probably that many emails, built a small buisness. The letters are wore off alot of the keyboard keys, the popular ones anyways. Im going to miss this old thing..
On the upside, Ill be able to post pictures, watch videos download tunes to my mp3 player and alot of other neato stuff. I remember connecting up on the old dial up at 32000 bps, now up to 48000 bps, hopefully the dsl is much faster..
So this is the last post for this compaq, it has served me well. Here we go, in 5 minutes Im going to unplug it and put it away and get ready for the new one! Hard to say goodbye to an old freind. :-( We will see youall in a few days after I get back online!

Just Remember to make a copy of all the stuff you want to keep from your old PC ,,
Catch you later on the new machine ..

Let see a computer that is 12 years old probably had windows 3.0 or 3.1 and now he is getting a new puter that probaly has Vista in it. Even to pros are having trouble with Vista. You all think we will ever hear from him again?:laff:

Yep we will..even if he has to plug the old one back in ,,I know when first started using Vista it had lots of bugs but now I like it ,,
By the way RPM got the brackets and was going to weld them up this weekend but it is just to darn cold in the garage

Ordered on Friday had'em on Monday ! dont get any better than that Thanks

These Texas boys sure have been whinning alot about cold weather lately. I thought Texans were supposed to be tough. :laff:

Just kidding y'all:biggrin:

norseman said:
... I remember connecting up on the old dial up at 32000 bps, now up to 48000 bps...

I hate to even admit this, but I did get into computers very early on... my first modem was 300 baud... yep, not a mistake 300, then upgraded to 1200, then to 2400, huge jump to 9600 then to DSL and finally cable...

LumenAl said:
I hate to even admit this, but I did get into computers very early on... my first modem was 300 baud... yep, not a mistake 300, then upgraded to 1200, then to 2400, huge jump to 9600 then to DSL and finally cable...
Ahhh, yes, those were the days. A 300 baud modem and calling long distance to connect to CompuServe. I'm still on DSL here. I would like to step up, but I refuse to do business with the local cable provider.

Is anyone running the Windoze Seven Beta yet? I know a few pals are running it and it seems the overall observations are pretty positive.

Our first computer was from Radio shack. Had a 25 meg hard drive. Ran windows 3.0. Cost for the whole set was $3000 and we had to make a loan to buy it.

We were on Prodigy way back. Had the 300 modem. It sat on the desk top and plugged into the back of the puter, and phone line plugged into it.

Here you go, a look at IBM's first disk drive, circa 1956.

It used fifty 24" disks, each of which held 100,000 6-bit characters (this was before the byte, mind you) and weighed ~3,000 pounds.

You guys were in a league of your own. I started with a VIC-20. 3583 bytes of available RAM and a cassette tape drive for storage. I snagged up one of the first C-64's in town and suddenly realized the thing was so new there was hardly any software for it. I ended up writing my own terminal program for it (good, ol' Commodore Basic 2.0), just so I could get online. :welcome:

I'm not that far back, but my first computer had DOS 1.1
Mike in ep :welcome:

Were BAAACCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
First post with new pooter, man this is nice. Fast too!! The keyboard feels really odd but I guess by the time I get the paint wore off these keys it will be feeling normal. bMy first time using internet. Was doing a career search in school. It had a thingy you put the telephone reciever into on the desk and we got to search something in the U of Mn computer database.. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lolol...
The T bucket forums looks good in read and my screen is big enough to see it all in one shot!! Paul

Hey Paul, welcome to the 21st century! Drop me an e-mail so I'll have your new address.

Jim

Hey Paul, you said a few days. It was barely one. Must be the DSL that got you back up quicker.
:welxome:Back

All I remember about my first puter was that it was an 486 something or another.

I just got lucky, the dsl guy was on my patch of the prairie today. It could have easily been a week. Im really liking this windows vista VS the windows 98

Do you remember

I ain't admitt'n to be old but, do you remember the Sinclair 64? 2K RAM, TV for monitor, tape player for storage...I upgraded it to 16K.

Then I got an Atari 800. Built a voice synthesizer for it, a light pen, and interfaced it to an Armatron robot so it could move chess pieces when you played chess on it.

By the way, if any of you need a computer I might be able to help you out. Just ask RPM.

Phil55

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back