Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New Guy here

Bohiaa

Hello Ev1:

I have been wanting a tbucket ever sence I could walk, now is the time. " I'm 49 yrs old" I would like any imput you all could give me. I'm looking at spirit Industries, the stage 3, from what I can see these look prety good.

I would like to order everythign at once, is there anythign I should look out for or is there a better place to order from.

thanks to ev1

Check out all the different Chassis shops, ask a lot of questions about everything that you get for your money... I would also look at a lot of running cars for sale, compare prices... By rights you should always be able to buy a running car cheaper than building a new one... You can then always make a few changes to make the car your own... Just something to think about. :)

I second what Ted said.

Jim

Welcome to the site. If you like the idea of a "kit" car, Spirit is an excellent choice. You will still have choices to make to personalize your car. On the other hand if you are a problem solver, a running car will still give you the challenges your looking for as you make it "your" car. Either way you are in for a very satifing experience.

Ron

Welcome to the site, there is a lot of great info here, No matter what you get. :hoist:

The best "input" possible is that you need to do SOMETHING on it every single day. Some days you will accomplish a lot, most days you will accomplish little. If you set it aside for a day, that becomes a week, which becomes a month, etc. until you are like me, 70 years old, and haven't finished the 'T' yet (and some of the other 20 car projects out in the shop)... Just do something everyday and you will get there...

Which bring up another point; Don't spread yourself too thin. If you start too many projects at once, you wind up in maintenence mode on them and not getting much of any new work done. That is the mode I was in for years, and I have several half finished projects to show for it... ("Half" being a generous term on some of them.)

Corley

Hello Ev1:

I have been wanting a tbucket ever sence I could walk, now is the time. " I'm 49 yrs old" I would like any imput you all could give me. I'm looking at spirit Industries, the stage 3, from what I can see these look prety good.

I would like to order everythign at once, is there anythign I should look out for or is there a better place to order from.

thanks to ev1

You have been given some very good advice by some talented, experienced people. The first of which is Buy vs Build.

When to Buy

I WANT IT AND I WANT IT NOW !
My time is limited by family, work, space ect
I lack the necessary tools or a good source to borrow them
I will not have that extra hand when I need it
I don't have the contacts to do the things I know I can't do
As stated, it's usually cheaper to buy a finished car (here you can make use of feedback from your new friends on this site, they may even know the car)
You will be able to hold to your budget

When to build

When nothing else but your own work satisfies you
You have the talent and drive to handle the project you have chosen (today there are kits available that make it possible to build a T even if you have never done anything like this before)
You have the basic tools to do most of the work
You have the space to do the work and it has electricity and a finished floor (heat too if you're in a cold climate)
You have the funds to pay for any work you cannot do as it occurs
You have the time to work on it regularly and can accept the fact that problems can happen, but when they do you will not become discouraged, you will find a way to solve them
You have read articles on how to build a T ( Streetrodder had a series on building a 27 T that ran for many issues about 2 years ago)
You have sat in and driven a T (IF YOU HAVEN'T YOU SHOULD, because you need to know what to expect from all of your hard work)

Al

I have a Spirit 27T body and frame. Didn't get the stage 3 kit because I wanted a 4-bar link suspension and opportunity to select a rear end gear ratio. BC will sell you all the items you want in a stage 3 kit minus those items you might want to get on your own. If you have it shipped to a business who has a forklift, you can save a few hundred on shipping. My opinion, ya can't go wrong dealing with those guys down in Mountain Home.

... I would also look at a lot of running cars for sale, compare prices... By rights you should always be able to buy a running car cheaper than building a new one... You can then always make a few changes to make the car your own... Just something to think about. :)

When i decided to build a T-Bucket i did a lot of research and ordered some catalogs. I made a parts list and a realistic price list and set a realistic time frame. I decided maybe it would be cheaper to buy some one's abandoned project. I found a few projects, some way overpriced and a few okay deals. Since i was working 60 hours a week i finally decided buying a running, registered ready to drive car was the best way for me to go at that time. I figured i could always change a few things around here and there and still come out ahead financially and time wise. Look around. The deals are out there.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back