Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New to the forum.

Bob Landry

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Hi Guys,

Just joined the forum and it really looks like a welcoming place. I live in Southern California, El Cajon, which is in the east county of San Diego. I've been wanting to build a t-bucket since I was in high in the late 60's. Now that I'm in my 60's I figured it was time. I've been looking at the Deluxe '27 T-Bucket Frame Kit and Body from Speedway Motors as a starting point. They state it has a longer wheel base and provides more leg room. I'm all about leg room as I'm 6'-6" tall. I'm a little concerned about that and would love to hear from any tall owners that might calm my fears, lol. I'm still in the fact gathering stage haven't made any hard decisions as to motor & drive train. I was a Chevy guy in my high school days but have driven nothing but Fords for the last 20 years so I could go either way.

I look forward to you opinions.

Thanks,
Bob Landry

Welcome Bob! At 6'-6 you may want to look into a stretched body. You will not fit well in a standard T. A '27 is a good choice for additional leg room as well. Look at the extended bodies and frames from RPM (Ron Pope) and Spirit. Both good people and forum sponsors.

Last edited:
Welcome! I agree with Ben. These cars have limited space and it would be a good idea to look into the stretched body. I would also try to seek a finished bucket locally to try out. That shouldn't be too difficult in Southern California, eh? I am SOOOO jealous of where you live!!

Welcome to the forum! If you plan to drive a lot, you should also consider whether a door, fenders and a top might be worthwhile. I can't even drive over a puddle without the rear tires throwing water all over the inside of the car (and me too).

Jack

Welcome Bob, from Ocala, Fl. There is a lot of good people with a lot of great ideas and information on these forums.

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois, definitely consider a door I made the mistake of not putting one in when I built mine and have been paying for it for 47 years now. LOL

Welcome to the forum. After you decide what you want (I second what the others have said), you need to contact the Department of Motor Vehicles and find out the exact procedure for registration in California. Do this before you buy anything. You might find that getting finished car with a title to be the better choice.

From what I have read on this and other forums, California can be tough to get a new build licensed in.

if you go with a Spirit kit you can get an Arkansas Title. We have had many customers in California use our title and they said it was a breeze to get titled. We have sent MSO/serial numbers in the past before the title came available and it was a nightmare to get titled. Some waited until the first of the year because CA hands out 500 titles to first come first serve. The title makes it simple and hassle free. We just had a customer pick up his extended T from us and he was 6'6 and he loved it. I attached a picture of him standing next to his car.

Attachments

• mike.jpg
    mike.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 34
Registering a kit car in California is a pc of cake. We issue you a MSO, which is what all manufactures issue. GM, FORD or any others do not issue titles! They issue the dealer an MSO. We just bought a brand new 40' trailer, guess what we got an MSO. You take the MSO along with receipts and the State that you live in issues you a title, not the manufacture.

Here is another fellows experience, with one of our kits in California. He did not get an MSO and had no trouble at all getting a title. He just went about it a little bit different.
https://tbucketeers.com/threads/how-to-obtain-a-california-vin.14987/
https://tbucketeers.com/threads/yellow-t-is-completed.15032/#post-160578

I'd just like to say thanks for all the greetings and the advice. I appreciate it very much.

Ben, I will definitely look into the stretch bodys. That sounds like it might be what I need.

Jack, yes I was already considering fenders and a top.

Telman2, is that a passenger side door or driver side or both. I'm not very coordinated so it sounds like a must have for me.

RPM, The 10" stretch sounds ideal. I will definitely be in touch to discuss. As for the registration there are a lot of varying opinons on the difficulty of getting one in the state of California. I'm going to call the numbers in the first link you gave and see what I can find out.

Cheers,
Bob

First of all I am not trying to step on RPM's or anyone else's toes at all. Not trying to get into a pissing match either. So no hard feeling Ron!

After reading the post RPM posted it seems like you have to jump through a lot of hoops in CA. One issue is that you can go to a DMV one day and get an answer and then go back the next day and get another answer totally different. They only hand out 500 titles so if they run out what are you supposed to do? We worked very hard to be able to offer an Arkansas Title so this eliminates all the paperwork, headaches and hassle of using a MSO. We have been in business since 1994 and have sent many MSO's out and some states, counties or offices are harder than others. Laws change, and people abuse the system. We have went down many roads trying to help customers get there cars titled using our MSO and spent numerous hours working with local DMV offices trying to get it through. The Arkansas title makes the process simple and easy. We have sent many titles out from CA to the east coast with no issues at all.

Hi Guys,

Just joined the forum and it really looks like a welcoming place. I live in Southern California, El Cajon, which is in the east county of San Diego. I've been wanting to build a t-bucket since I was in high in the late 60's. Now that I'm in my 60's I figured it was time. I've been looking at the Deluxe '27 T-Bucket Frame Kit and Body from Speedway Motors as a starting point. They state it has a longer wheel base and provides more leg room. I'm all about leg room as I'm 6'-6" tall. I'm a little concerned about that and would love to hear from any tall owners that might calm my fears, lol. I'm still in the fact gathering stage haven't made any hard decisions as to motor & drive train. I was a Chevy guy in my high school days but have driven nothing but Fords for the last 20 years so I could go either way.

I look forward to you opinions.

Thanks,
Bob Landry
CCR is just up the road from you ... 117 miles, but a heck of a lot closer than Speedway!

I'm in the midst of a build on a Spirit XL body......with a passenger door. Definitely consider at least 1 door. I'm very excited about the possibility of having a car with a stretched body and a door, after not having one.

Yes, a door is a must. I may be tall but I make up for it with a lack of coordination.:eek: I'm leaning strongly towards a package from CCR now, as they are so close to me.

I spent some time on the phone with the DMV today and found they still have about 200 of the exemption numbers left for CA. I have an appointment with them tomorrow at 10:00 AM. I'll let you guys know what I find out.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back