Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New to T's

bent metal

Hi, I am in Southern California, wanting to build a T-bucket. I was thinking of buying a kit with as many parts included as possible. Looking for a little guidance on what is good, what to stay away from. Are there any steel bodies on the market?

Welcome from St Louis, bent metal! We have two great sponsors on this site, RPM and Spirit Cars, both of whom offer components and kits, and will work with you to make it suit you. Steel bodies . . . pricey, but if that's what you want there are some sources. Here's one company . . .

Steel Reproduction Bodies | Hotrod Hotline

Last edited:
California Custom Roadsters (CCR), while not an NTBA sponsor, is a very reputable supplier. They are always willing to give great advice.

California Custom Roadsters is in southern California (Chino). I have two complete T-buckets from them, about half of a Model A, lots of other stuff and I'm sure there will be more.

Thanks for the 'welcoming'! I appreciate that. I'm looking at the sponsors here. Where is RPM located? Also, is Speedway a good kit?

Welcome. Do a little research and find what works for YOU.

Welcome. Do a little research and find what works for YOU.
That's what I am trying to do. Perhaps I should post a new thread on this forum, in a different column? I want to get as much input as possible from people who have experience in this type of car build. Suggestions are welcome. Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

That's what I am trying to do. Perhaps I should post a new thread on this forum, in a different column? I want to get as much input as possible from people who have experience in this type of car build. Suggestions are welcome. Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

What I meant by "a little research" was don't limit yourself to just this forum. There are a lot of sources on the net worth taking a look at, when looking for kit's, etc.

Most important thing to me was having a clear vision of what I wanted sitting in front of me. I used a drawing SW package to get an idea and then sketched out the look that I was after. You can cheat by using pics from the www, printing them out and tracing the outlines. Then manipulate them to get what you are after.

List the main features, such as Bg n Littles, body style, WB, engine, induction, headers etc and see where that leads you. Its easy to change things on paper; steel gets more expensive.

I have taken pics as I go, printed them out full size on sheets of paper and then used pencils, markers to play around with the look. Best things is, you can print out 20 copies and if you screw one up there's another one in the pile to play with. This is one of the top I wanted on a side view pic printed out on A4 paper. You can also see a feature line for the 'door', which I decided not do after looking at the pic.

visual (2) (2015_11_13 11_07_31 UTC).jpg

Have fun.

Google " pics of 27' fords" they will be a mix of 23's and other things including 5 gallon buckets, but like what others have said take a look at ride heights, stance and overall "look" etc.

Welcome from Clearwater, Florida.
I certainly don't intend to berate any sponsors on here. From what I hear they are all great. I started my build with a chassis drawing from CCR and a bunch a of steel tubing. Naturally I turned to them for advice, their components and body. Everything is of the highest quality and the owners are the nicest people you will ever deal with. I'm probably half way there and enjoying every minute of it. I'm sure you will too.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back