Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New toy needs adjustments . . .

skullman

Hey guys . . .

I just picked up my new toy - a Total Performance T-Bucket. Although the car was completed about 10 years ago, it only has 5000+ miles on it. I bought it knowing the engine would have to be replaced because of a broken ring. I've gone over the bucket and have a couple of questions. The first involves the steering which is thru a reversed corvair steering box. It has more excess play in it before moving the wheels than it should. Can anyone tell me how to adjust for that? Also related to the steering box is the long pitman arm. The one on the car only clears the ground by about 3 inches. I read that there is (or will be) a shorter one available. Does anyone have any information as where I might get the shorter arm. My next question is about the brakes. There is a lot loose sloppy travel between full release and actual contact. Feels like there may be a spring or something missing that would pull the pedal back on release. Any thoughts about this. And is there any technical or functional reason the brake pedal has to be so straight up and down? I find this very uncomfortable and was going to cut the arm back a couple of inches and angle the pedal to match the angle of the gas pedal. Since these are things that are difficult to get to I would like to take care of them while I have the engine and transmission. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I have attached a couple of photos.

nice looking t bucket skullman i have a total car and there is no return spring on their brake pedal what i did is took a flat peice of metal and mount to the floor to limit the forward travel and the pedal should be bent about 1 to 1 1/2 inches inward to center of car i just started driving mine and do notice a lot of slop in the steering when i figure it out i let you know.

Adjustment for manual steering box.

Locate nut with a slotted screw running through it. Have wheels straight ahead. Crack the nut loose and turn screw 'til you feel a hard spot. Continue to hold screw and tighten nut.

This is the easy one. It could be the harder one to do.

Thanks for all the input guys.

tbucketlar: Sounds good. What is the length (center of hole to center of hole) of the chrome pitman arm you have?

wrenchbender63: That's a good idea about bending the brake pedal inward. The column is in an awkward position for me (too far to the left and a little to high). Shortening the column seems possible but I don't see repositioning the column to the right as a real possibility.

Todd: It's good to hear that the lash adjustment is the one I need to do. What does the more complicated adjustment to the wormshaft bearing accomplish?

By the way guys, I'm located in central Oregon and my email address is bob@bobborum.com

Thanks again...

Well the photos do not show pics of your problem areas.. need them to give any worth while advice, other wise it is all guess work... the one thing I do see and you can fix pretty easy, is to take the top steering tie rods arms off and mount them on the oposite spindles, and put the tie rod behind the axle where it belongs, up or down which ever you have the most room for... Also I do see that the steering box is mounted behind the firewall, making it a big glunky in the way thing inside your driving space... I WOULD, move it outside where it should be, on top of the frame, I use a stock pitman arm, with an extra mounting hole welded to the end, so as to make it steer a bit faster, and farther, as I like a car that turns real short. As for the brake pedal a pic is really needed to see just what you have to work with, as you want it on the left side of the steering column, so you can stop with your left foot, one foot on the gas pedal the other on the brake...E-mail me some pics if you like and I will let you know how to fix it all.. This is what I do.... tedabrown@juno.com

skullman said:
Todd: It's good to hear that the lash adjustment is the one I need to do. What does the more complicated adjustment to the wormshaft bearing accomplish?

The wormshaft is more of a "macro" adjustment where the lash is more of a "micro".

Well you do not want any play in the steering at all.. if the main shaft moves in and out of the box at all. the big nut on the top (that the shaft comes out of) must be tightened up till there is not loosness to that shaft, then hold the Alum. nut and re-tighten the thin steel jam nut.. Then read adjust the screw adjustment on the side to eliminate pitman arm play...

Ted . . . the main shaft is solid so I guessing the play is pitman arm play. That is the adjustment that Tod was talking about. I'll adjust and see if that helps. Thanks

Make sure that steering box is centered. There is supposed to be a tight spot in the Corvair box when properly adjusted. I screw the adjusting screw all the way in just barley snug, then lock it down with the nut.

Even though the steering shaft feels OK. You might want to back off the little screw all the way and adjust that that big nut first. It needs to be pretty snug, then lock it with that big ring. Then adjust the pitman shaft with the little screw. If the bushings are worn very much, you won't be able to adjust it out. You will have to replace the bushings. We keep seals in stock and can get the bushings if you need them.

RPM . . . thanks mucho for the info. The large nut adjustment will have to wait until I get the engine/transmission out of the car . . . just for the east of adjusting. At my age with a bad back the bending and twisting under a car and around an engine to adjust it just ain't gonna happen. In what part of Tennessee are you? I just moved to Oregon from the Nashville area.

skullman said:
RPM . . . thanks mucho for the info. The large nut adjustment will have to wait until I get the engine/transmission out of the car . . . just for the east of adjusting. At my age with a bad back the bending and twisting under a car and around an engine to adjust it just ain't gonna happen. In what part of Tennessee are you? I just moved to Oregon from the Nashville area.

Yes we are in Kodak TN. Kodak is where Hwy 66 runs into I-40 at mile marker 407. Now you will have to come to the rod runs here. Alot of cars cruising the streets. There are several guys from KY that come down and we go cruise the strip in Pigeon Forge.
You are more than welcome to come join us.

Pigeon Forge, Tennessee - Grand Rod Run 2009

He is a link to a calander of events and just some of the shows.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back