Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New Year New Project New Bucket.

B141A13A-EF7E-4683-8129-E90307481B00_zps46kclilh.jpg

Brake pedal Linkcage

T Bucket Chasis Slideshow by Kelly_Cline

So the link above will take you to a Slideshow of all the pics I have for my build. Some may make absolutely no sense to you, but they are there for a frame of reference. Today I started to fiber glass the body. I have been paying very close attention to choppinczech advice on here. That guy is a fiberglass wizard. Its been an interesting day to say the least with fiberglass. I will have a few things to fix on my fist layer before the second layer can be applied. glad its on the bottom of the body.

Bed is 30 inches. Lots of room compared to some buckets. Layed the 4th layer of fiberglass today on the outside of the body. Hope to get to 8 by the weekend

Cool build. Mine has a long bed also but I'm liking the bobbed rear end look so I'm taking it off. I'll be following your build

The bracket that is shown, that holds the rear axle hairpin looks like it needs at least one gusset on each side. Is that a concern, or are you ok with it?
Lee

Reactions: RPM
The bracket for the RR , excessive amount of threaded rod for the female heim , the brake linkage pivots in single shear are all suspect , to me at least .. also , why so many layers of glass on the floor ??
dave

The bracket for the RR , excessive amount of threaded rod for the female heim , the brake linkage pivots in single shear are all suspect , to me at least .. also , why so many layers of glass on the floor ??
dave

Nothing is completely adjusted on those heims, its strictly a rolling chassy at this point, I have never even fired the motor yet.

Yea, I was looking at that also.

The material is 3/8 plate steel. I had the best welder I have ever known set up that rear end. He's my Uncle and he'll be 51 this year. He grew up in a machine shop and still works at my other Uncles machine shop. We did gusset the spring and still can gusset rear hairpins if needed, I think they are super strong and I think he knows what he is doing.

He built this from scratch. I think its like the 8th one he's built. I know its quite a bit different than a T-bucket, but I think its got a whole lot more horses under that hood also. :)

6D556667-3F17-44EE-BADE-315A099C4763_zpsm4yys1ro.jpg

Put a mower deck on that puppy, and I could mow my yard in about 10 minutes, if I didn't end up in the next county. Pretty cool.

dave

Dave,

I am laying up 8 layers on the exterior. I was reading in a post by choppinczech that 8 layers equaled about a 1/4' inch thickness of glass. I am also using cloth. I have read that cloth is stronger than matte, but does not lay up as thick as matte. So basically if you want thickness built up quickly use matte. If you want more strength use cloth. The cloth was provided to me by my deceased Grandfather, it was left over from a boat project he planned before I was born. The man died when I was 9 years old. I think its pretty awesome that he contributed to the build with out ever seeing it or knowing it existed. It was a lot of cloth to. I have laid up the 8 layers on the outside and now have moved on to the inner body of the bucket. I still have a lot left but will need to buy some more soon to finish. I am trying to be as safe as possible I don't like the thought of a driveshaft having the possibility to come through the floor. So I will add some layers of glass. All it is, is time and money. Money comes, Money goes but I will never have enough time. So make it safe as possible now so later, if something does happen I don't have to spend time to heal.

If your big concern is having the driveshaft coming up through the floor, why not install a driveshaft safety loop? They are available from Speedway. The picture below is one on my car.

Jim

If your big concern is having the driveshaft coming up through the floor, why not install a driveshaft safety loop? They are available from Speedway. The picture below is one on my car.

Jim

I thought about that, just running out of room in there. My E Brake cable is almost centered in the body of the bucket. That would be in the way. Its a good solid recommendation though. Thanks

Just adding an update to my build list. I went back to school 2 years ago. I finished this last month. I put the bucket on hold for the last year while in school. Life happens. Anyway cleaned the garage of all the fiber glass dust this weekend and am starting to get back to glassing the car. I need to glass the dash, doors and finish the truck bed. Then mate the 2 parts of the body together. Pics to follow.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back