Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Newb Saying Hey

frodin1

I just wanted to start by saying hi to all. I'm pretty much a newb in fiberglass building, and I had some questions that I've been having a hard time finding answers to. I have what we believe to be an Allied VEE TEE. It's a fiberglass T- Bucket that is VW based. I've completely dismantled the vehicle and have started to re-fab some of the parts. I built a new floor pan and rebuilt everything attached. Some of the issues I was hoping to get answers to include,#1. Windshield frame, What to make them out of? The one on the car was made from 1" square tubing and very poorly put together. I would like to fab something, but I have no clue what metal to use? #2. I'm stuck on mounting door hinges? I have some very lite doors and I was hoping to use some budget hinges from speedway or elsewhere. But I don't know how I would mount a steel hinge to a fiberglass body without blowing holes clean through? Can these be glassed in? Will it be strong enough? If there is anyone out there, that can maybe provide some links to these issues, or even suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I'm pretty much stuck, with a dimming bulb over my head. Here's a pic before dismantle.
VeeRodPickup004.jpg

:suicide: I see your tbucket has not been wooded in you need to glue wood to the inside of the doors and body to attach hinges to also it helps with the upholstery. There is a discussion on here that covers this I am sure someone who is better at this than I am will find it for you.

:suicide: I see your tbucket has not been wooded in you need to glue wood to the inside of the doors and body to attach hinges to also it helps with the upholstery. There is a discussion on here that covers this I am sure someone who is better at this than I am will find it for you.

Great, that makes a lot more sense. That part will be easy then. Now All I need to do now is figure out what metal to use for my windshield glass. I made some brackets/mounts yesterday to mount everything too. My glass is in good condition, I think if I can find something to slide it into," someone on another site mentioned 1/2" square tubing"?and another mentioned half round, I have never seen this"? I should be able to weld it up and Powder coat it. Problem there is going to be finding somewhere to bake the thing?

Welcome, looks like a cool ride.

For a new windshield frame you could use the same type material you have. How about repop windshield posts? Or if you want to change the look, you could build whatever you want.

First off Welcome Here is a pic of a body reinforced using wood and greenhouse foam.
interior3.jpg

Welcome, looks like a cool ride.

For a new windshield frame you could use the same type material you have. How about repop windshield posts? Or if you want to change the look, you could build whatever you want.

Whats Re-pop? I made new brackets to go on the outside on the posts already because the ones that were on there actually weren't sitting correctly . The bends were a little funky and cut poorly. I'll probably just end up building the same type of frame? Don't know yet, I kind of like the Lowboy look, but not real sure how to attack it? Thanks for the all input!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back