Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Newbie in AZ Mopar

hemitheus

Hello all,

My name is Hemi and I am new to rods. I have been turning wrenches on cars my whole life for fun and decided that I want to build one. Dont know anything about them other than they are cool and you guys are a dedicated bunch. I hope to learn a lot.

I am looking for as much advice i can get prior to starting. I have done a ton of web research, got the build a t<$3k book. But only so much reading will help. Hearing it from those that do it is more my speed of learning.

What I would like to do is:

1) build as much of it as I can, purchase as little as I have to. I have 2 friends, 1 a welder and the other a boyd/paint guy, both willing th help and teach. BONUS!
2) Keep it as Mopar as possible.... My name is Hemi after all, i am from Detroit from a mopar family... its in my blood.
3) Keep it as small as possible. (no bed or trunk)

other than that I look forward to learning the ropes and getting as much advice from you guys as I can.

One question to start. I have seen many t-buckets with a steering rod coming out of the drivers side lower cowl area. What kind of steering setup is this? I love the look and have seen those with and without this.

thanks again

Hemi

Hello all,

My name is Hemi and I am new to rods. I have been turning wrenches on cars my whole life for fun and decided that I want to build one. Dont know anything about them other than they are cool and you guys are a dedicated bunch. I hope to learn a lot.

I am looking for as much advice i can get prior to starting. I have done a ton of web research, got the build a t<$3k book. But only so much reading will help. Hearing it from those that do it is more my speed of learning.

What I would like to do is:

1) build as much of it as I can, purchase as little as I have to. I have 2 friends, 1 a welder and the other a boyd/paint guy, both willing th help and teach. BONUS!
2) Keep it as Mopar as possible.... My name is Hemi after all, i am from Detroit from a mopar family... its in my blood.
3) Keep it as small as possible. (no bed or trunk)

other than that I look forward to learning the ropes and getting as much advice from you guys as I can.

One question to start. I have seen many t-buckets with a steering rod coming out of the drivers side lower cowl area. What kind of steering setup is this? I love the look and have seen those with and without this.

thanks again

Hemi

Trying to find the area edited but I am missing it

The edit button has a time limit on it. Welcome these are usually a vega or corvair steering box coming through the firewall. The column coming through the floor looks cool but not practical for entering and exiting. Also not very safe hard to steer with the hump usually in the middle of the steering wheel.JMO

Am I blind? still missing it.
Hemi,
Your not blind, the person that forgot to take their Meds is messing with you. You will only see the Edit if you made the post......Welcome..........ruggs

I think I know what steering you're talking about. UNREVERSED Corvair Or the old Ford boxes laid on their sides. It actually helps with the bump steer.

Hi
Good to have a new person on our books.
Putz
Whats wrong with vertical steering? Its not that hard to master, no more so than a straight up and downy thing
Gerry

I think horizontal steering is probably better because you can see the steering wheel. Vertical steering is probably very hard to get used to because you're trying to find the steering wheel all the time. Especially, when you're trying to put the brakes on. I know Ted recommends horizontal. I know for a fact, his steering wheel pulls off so you can get in and out easy. I like that set up he has.

For many years I drove a VW bus with vertical steering AND you sat nearly on top of the front wheels. Not a problem, build what suits your fancy.

I like the looks of the vertical the best. More straight up and down, not tilting too much. For sure, a kooler look. More like Norm Grabowski's car. It's the best. Thanks for the pics.

Welcome to the forum Hemi

Welcome to the site. :hoist:

SO I should probabaly go to a rod show and talk to guys who have it setup each way to see if I like the horizontal or vertical better...

examples of what i was taling about...

one with the rod

http://www.hotrodroundup.com/images/photo_gallery/images/t_bucket.jpg

one without

http://www.classyauto.com/image_large.php?image_id=561934

and thanks for the welcome.

Welcome aboard. There is basically 3 types of steering. The reverse corvair box which exits under the car like the first picture. There is a vega box that is usually in front of the firewall or at the front of the frame. It looks like your second picture. The newest thing is rack and pinion, it mounts at the front of the frame where the vega box would be and of course it is rack and pinion.

Dont forget a rack and pinion that mounts on your chassis (parallel) to the side rails and push pulls to the steering arm. A bit more work but well worth it
Gerry

Dont forget a rack and pinion that mounts on your chassis (parallel) to the side rails and push pulls to the steering arm. A bit more work but well worth it
Gerry

Thanks.

I have a trailer I made out of the rear of a wrecked 88 dodge ram 150. I used to use it to haul my drums around in when playing shows. I drive a Chrysler Town & Country van now so i dont need the thing anymore. The rear axle is in fantastic shape. Anyone see any drawbacks to using such a piece on a bucket? or, if any of you in AZ are in need of a solid trailer and are willing to trade for bucket parts.... let me know.

I also have a 383 (needs rebuilt) mated to a 727. So the powerplant is covered-ish. Since my name is Hemi I would really like to get a 50's era red ram hemi. But not essential. just would be nice. I like the look of the old hemi's too. they look like the belong in a car without the unnesessary fascade of a hood or fenders.

But as soon as I start my venture into rod building I hit speedbump #1.

Starting Monday I am traveling for business for 6 weeks. I will try and remain the optimist and utilize my time to research the craft.

In that time away, any advice you guys can throw my way that you would find beneficial would be deeply appreciated.

Hemi

Thanks.

I have a trailer I made out of the rear of a wrecked 88 dodge ram 150. I used to use it to haul my drums around in when playing shows. I drive a Chrysler Town & Country van now so i dont need the thing anymore. The rear axle is in fantastic shape. Anyone see any drawbacks to using such a piece on a bucket? or, if any of you in AZ are in need of a solid trailer and are willing to trade for bucket parts.... let me know.

I also have a 383 (needs rebuilt) mated to a 727. So the powerplant is covered-ish. Since my name is Hemi I would really like to get a 50's era red ram hemi. But not essential. just would be nice. I like the look of the old hemi's too. they look like the belong in a car without the unnesessary fascade of a hood or fenders.

But as soon as I start my venture into rod building I hit speedbump #1.

Starting Monday I am traveling for business for 6 weeks. I will try and remain the optimist and utilize my time to research the craft.

In that time away, any advice you guys can throw my way that you would find beneficial would be deeply appreciated.

Hemi

IF IN YOUR TRAVELS YOU ARE IN AN AREA WITH A CAR SHOW TALK TO THE T BUCKET OWNERS ABOUT WHAT THEY LIKE ABOUT THEIR BUCKET. Most will let you sit in theirs for the fit you are looking for. sorry caps lock was on and typing is not my forte

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back