Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Nice Rearend

Mr. Fixit

Now that I have your attention with the topic title, I have a ford 9" rear end and since I am refinishing everything, I would like to strip down the rear, clean the housing, strip the old paint, and redo it, but I really know knothing about rear ends which my wife tells me is simply being dishonest. I am not sure what she means by that :spank: , "butt" that's another story..

Now that I have your attention with the topic title, I have a ford 9" rear end and since I am refinishing everything, I would like to strip down the rear, clean the housing, strip the old paint, and redo it, but I really know knothing about rear ends which my wife tells me is simply being dishonest. I am not sure what she means by that :spank: , "butt" that's another story..
Mr. Fixit,
You can pull the center section and the axles as units and will not change any settings....ruggs

Mr. Fixit
You can pull it all apart, and alot of machine shops have a big enough hot tank that they can clean it for you. That's what I did with mine, it gets all the gease and grime off.

Eric

P.S. Don't be afraid a rearend is pretty simple (car that is), the other ones are much more complex.

Mr. Fixit,
You can pull the center section and the axles as units and will not change any settings....ruggs

Nothing more to it? Is there a step by step somewhere that I can review?

Thanks,

Mr. Fixit
You can pull it all apart, and alot of machine shops have a big enough hot tank that they can clean it for you. That's what I did with mine, it gets all the gease and grime off.

Eric

P.S. Don't be afraid a rearend is pretty simple (car that is), the other ones are much more complex.

Very funny Eric, just checking to see what I am in for..

I came here hoping to see a picture of J-Lo's tight tush.

No such luck. Well, the mileage is getting up there and it will need shims in a few years anyway.

Now that I have your attention with the topic title, I have a ford 9" rear end and since I am refinishing everything, I would like to strip down the rear, clean the housing, strip the old paint, and redo it, but I really know knothing about rear ends which my wife tells me is simply being dishonest. I am not sure what she means by that
winkn.gif
, "butt" that's another story..

Mr Fixit,

Not sure what car/truck your rearend come out of but most 9" Fords are the same with brakes being the main difference. Once you get it apart it is a good time to replace the axle bearings and hopefully you'll never need to open again.

Remove brake drums, if they don't come off easy, brake shoes could need to be backed off, which can be done thru a small slot in the backing plate on the back side.

Once drums are off, remove all shoes and springs, take a picture of this set up if your going back with brake shoes instead of disc. It is possible to use a socket thru the hole in the axle to remove the nuts and bolts holding the axle in the housing without removing the springs and shoes. Sooner or later if your going to use the drum and shoe set up you will want to take it apart to clean up the backing plates.

Sometimes the axles are a "B"ear to remove, bearing stuck in housing. Axle puller would work the best if this happens. You can bolt an "old" wheel to the axle and hit it with a hammer to help this if an axle puller is not handy. Once you have both axle out remove all the nuts around the center section. Two of these cannot be removed with a socket if it is a 9" Ford.

Reverse order for reassembly.

Only adjustment will be brake shoes. IMO disc brakes on the rear is a cleaner set up.

Wade

Ted told me about this site and the rearends are especially nice looks powdercoated.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back