Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

No kingpin lock bolt

newby question - Changing out 49-54 Chevy spindles on a 6 inch drop chrome tube axle to the modified Speedway spindles to upgrade brakes to hub mounted vs current spindle mount disc. The axle kingpin boss had no holes for kingpin locks . No set screw or bolt holes. Apparently it was orinally set up this way back in the mid 80's when it was built. The kingpins I removed seemed to be fine and ran for 20 years with no problems. Do I need to remove the axle and have holes drilled for kingpin lock bolts or set screws or can I run these without the kingpin lock bolts?

I know that I would feel better if they were locked in place. Probably can do it without removing axle. It make damage the chrome a bit when the drill breaks though the chrome. Perhaps a grinding stone in a Dremmel to clean the drill spot first would be a good idea. Drill small pilot hole through the boss, and make sure it marks the kingpin before removing kingpin. Then remove kingpin and drill and tap boss for set screw. Grind a flat on kingpin, and re-install. Well, that is my suggestion. Others may have better ideas. Then again, if it lasted 20 years without lock, maybe its ok.

The new spindles are the speedway 49-54 Chevy with needle bearings . The kingpin does have a flat so to play it safe I'm going to take your suggestion and drill / tap for a set screw.
Appreciate the help !

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back