Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Spindle help

fletcherson

After several hours or searching and reading posts, I give up. I wonder if someone can tell me how to definitively tell if I have what I think to be modified (Chevy style) Chevy spindles. They are aftermarket from the 80's with no ID and no brakes provisions. They have magnesium spindle mount wheels and the only bolt holes in them are on the left side (right and left are different, obviously sold as a kit) at the top for the tubular steering arm that bolts on for the drag link. The tie rod mounts to the bottom rear. They resemble the Chevy with the backing plate bosses either removed or cast without them. I am trying to order disc brakes for it and am trying ti decide if I need to order spindles (I think at this point) and hub/brake kit or if I can use caliper brackets and spindle wheel rotor kit, or a combination of the aforementioned to achieve my goals. Sorry if this is a rerun for you guys, I tried to solve this before posting a redundant question. Is there a easy measurement on the king pin or do I need to crisscross it to find out? Thanks!

To me they look like Ford spindles that have been lightened a great deal, by removing all the metal that was not needed. Take them off the axle. Ford king pins are .812" in diameter and the Chevy is .866". The Ford spindle boss is 2.375" tall and the Chevy is 2.125" tall. It looks like the steering arms are made on to the spindle, which would be Ford also. The Chevy arms bolted on.

I have new spindles for just $190.00 Ford or Chevy, and disc brake kits starting at $249.00.

To me they look like Ford spindles that have been lightened a great deal, by removing all the metal that was not needed. Take them off the axle. Ford king pins are .812" in diameter and the Chevy is .866". The Ford spindle boss is 2.375" tall and the Chevy is 2.125" tall. It looks like the steering arms are made on to the spindle, which would be Ford also. The Chevy arms bolted on.

I have new spindles for just $190.00 Ford or Chevy, and disc brake kits starting at $249.00.
Great, That is what I needed. Thanks! I was looking at your site, I just wanted to order the correct ones. Have you any words of wisdom relating to the rotor kits on spindle mount wheels? Are they viable, or should I just discard the old wheels and go with the bolt on's? I like the nostalgic value of them, but I am not in love with them and I don't want to do this twice. There are plenty of other things to spend the money on...

If it were me. I would sell those wheels, they should bring quite a bit in the nostalgia drag racing world. Then get new spindles, brakes and wheels.

You can probably sell the spindles and wheels as a package to someone building a nostalgia altered.

Looks like you nailed it! They must be Ford per the dimensions. Thanks again!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back