Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Notching rear crossmember?

raidmagic

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Can I do this? I have a Total performance frame and my gas tank sits about an inch higher than I want it too. My thought is if I come off that with gussets on both sides and connect them then I could either notch about an inch out of the top of the frame or just cut it out and lower it.
Thoughts? Any reason why this won't work? It's 1.5 x 3" tubing BTW.

Thanks

No it's a rectangle. I thought of notching the tank but I can't weld aluminum so I would have to pay to do that. I can do the welding on the frame though.

Does the tank fit between the rails? If so, can you come up from the bottom and put the mounting ears below the frame? I think a 2" rear frame section is to small. Only other option is to shorten the kick up witch will raise the rear of the bucket. Can you have a thick cover that is thin where the tank is?

No it fits between the rear frame rails it's just to deep to fit inside the frame. My thought was to kick it down but keep it 3" it might even be thicker here is a horrible drawing of what I am thinking.

frameplan.jpg

Oh you are wanting to cut the BACK of the frame down? That is no problem! Weld in a temporary cross member, cut out the rear, move it to wherever you need it weld it in gusset over holes and paint!

old round fart said:
Oh you are wanting to cut the BACK of the frame down? That is no problem! Weld in a temporary cross member, cut out the rear, move it to wherever you need it weld it in gusset over holes and paint!
Great Thanks!! I was figuring it didn't matter so much but really wanted someone else opinion. Now I get to have the fun of cutting and welding.:)

Ted Brown said:
A picture of the tank in place would have made this even easier to say what is the easiest fix, but sounds like you already have a plan, go slow and good luck. :)

Before I start cutting I'll remove the bed and take a quick picture. Look for it tomorrow evening.:thumbsup:

Here it is with the tank sitting on it. I'd like to go down an inch or so the second pic is just the frame section. Ted do you have a recommendation for the size I should go back with?

tankframe.jpg

framesection.jpg

Kids yours looks like a chev S10 ,raids is or looks like a ford 9 inch. JMO

The guy I got it from told me it came out of a 98" mustang. When X-junk was looking at a pic he thought it looked like a 10 Bolt Chevy, kinda like your saying. I'm just out of Pocono and will not be home for another week to measure things up and try to figure out what the heck I got...

The more I study the picture I guess the Watts Linkage is what really caught my eye. I didn't even know what that was till X-Junk pointed it out earlier today.

bucketkids said:
The guy I got it from told me it came out of a 98" mustang. When X-junk was looking at a pic he thought it looked like a 10 Bolt Chevy, kinda like your saying. I'm just out of Pocono and will not be home for another week to measure things up and try to figure out what the heck I got...

Hard to tell from that angle but your's is a Chevy most likely a 10 bolt. Mine is a Ford 9".

Thanks Magic, It will take me a week to get home but then I will be able to post more picks and check the lug pattern to see what the heck I got. This is the only other pic I have with me.

Too dark to see anything in that pic but I like the blower I can see in the other pic:lol:
Measure your bolt pattern when you get back it should be 5 on 4.75. I would bet all your stuff is Chevy.

If that's a 10-bolt then where are the bolts? Unless I'm looking at the wrong picture that is a Ford mustang rearend.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back