Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Observations from my accident

tfeverfred

I took some really detailed shots of my car and wanted to share info I found about construction. maybe this will help others in their build.

In this pic, you can see how the bolt that goes through the body and into a wellnut, that is in the frame, came out. This happened on both rear sides where the body mounts. The body did not crack.
crash034.jpg

crash033.jpg

This shot shows how the tranny ripped from the rubber mount, moved forward and dropped down. Notice the shifter bent back under the body. Also note that part of a lower steering arm broke off. The Tie rod didn't bend, but the steering arm broke.:confused:
crash035.jpg

crash037.jpg

A few things to note in this pic. The steering arm snapped right through. Note the clevis pins did the same. Are they Grade 8? The bolts I used on my front end are Grade 5. The ones that had damage just bent. I would think bending is better than snapping. Also note the bent uppersteering arm.
crash019.jpg

About the only thing that can be said here, is that wire wheels don't make a good bumper.:sad: The axle never had a chance. I was going about 35MPH. What would 40MPH + be like? DO NOT ANSWER!:cry:
crash017.jpg

If you look REALLY close, you can see that the front crossbar is slightly pushed in. The spring perch is slightly tweaked.
crash016.jpg

Sorry about the chrome friction shocks you gave me, Rick.:sad:
crash015.jpg

Passenger side motor mount. The rubber tore, but the tabs bent before they did. Same on the drivers side. The bolted on crossbar held in place with the bolts, but if you look closely at the second pic, you can see how it tried to twist out of the frame
crash013.jpg

crash040.jpg

The steering column is bent forward. I'm not sure what let go, the steel shaft or where it attaches to the steering box. maybe both. The steering wheel is bent. Somehow, my right hand and wrist came between it and my chest.
crash042.jpg

And finally.... She's not pretty now, but she'll be back. Better than ever.
crash043.jpg

These are pics of the intersection from the cops view. Notice all lights, INCLUDING the left turn (far left hand light) are green. Notice the sign below the left turn light. It states: Left turn yeild on green. the cop didn't yield. See the car coming down the street? That is about where I was when the cop car made it's turn.
crash006.jpg

Here is the same set of lights when they are red. They are red ALL the way across.
crash005.jpg

My God Fred, you are so lucky to not have been injured worse. The car really took a hit. I can't imagine what it must have been like to have that happen like it did.

Years ago I was driving home from work on a two lane road and a girl going the other way cut directly in front of me, and I had no time to even hit the brakes. I was driving a VW beetle and she was driving a Ford. I knocked the back end of her body right off the frame, the middle of it was straddling the drivers side tire. I looked up and my windshield was smashed and I wondered what did that, then I realized it was my head! :eek: Darned VW started up and drove off the road though.

I sure hope they don't try to railroad you because of the offender being a cop. It sounds like you have it under control though, and I hope your witness sticks around and to the story. Please consider hiring an agressive, not connected to the City attorney who will protect you. I know lawyers get a bad rap, but in some instances they can be helpful.

Good luck bud.

Don

Are you going to do wires again or go to steelies?

so is the frame really bent anyplace, or is it just some tweaked crossmembers and some twisted bolt holes ?

and in the body mount / well nut pic it looks like your upper drivers side clevis for the rear end is bent, am i seeing that right ?

i know you can get Miss B' straigtened back out again :cry:

Like the others, it looks as if it can be fixed, but under the circumstances I would consider new parts. The reasons being, unknown damage and the fact that it wasn't your fault. If and thats a big if you rebuild it and something was cracked that you could not know about or discover and then you had an accident then it would be on you and not the city. T/P makes a great kit and I think your request to the city should be buy me one and I'll do the work, because I want make sure it is the way I want it. But that kit would inculde EVERYTHING that is needed to build a T!!! Hope all works out in your favor.Randall

I've learned one thing, I need to quit procrastinating and get my seat belts installed. I'm riding on borrowed time. Thank God Fred you were able to walk away. It's is amazing how well the vehicle held up.

I know in my heart of hearts you will get Miss Behavin' up an running.

Cheers,

Jim

Fred my friend, I'm glad you didn't get hurt worse.

What do you think is salvageable here?

Fred: In more than one of my posts I've said grade 5 bolts are tough and grade 8 can be brittle. Just something to think about.

Fred,

I still say the city is clearly responsible to fix your car... find yourself a really good and reputable hot rod shop, get quote to fix everything that needs to be done and have your attorney take the city to task... advantage... it's gets fixed quicker or... get the money and fix it yourself and have some extra cash for upgrades, new parts, what ever you want to do!

Wire wheels dont make very good bumpers, but they do a pretty good job of absorbing the energy of the impact. Better them than you!!

RPM said:
Is this front perch bent? It looks like it could be from the pic. Who built that frame?

crash016.jpg

Yes, the perch bent and the cross bar was pushed in about a 1/4". The frame and all frontend components are from Total Performance. I think they held up well, considering.

I would agree with you Fred. If the perch and motor mounts moved without tearing, it's a testiment to someones welding ability!

Ron

RPM said:
So the frame is bent then?

I don't know. I really won't until I tear it down. The crossmember and perch can be replaced. If the frame is bent, that changes everything. I have already come to realise that this is not going to be a quick process. The fact that I'm dealing with the city is making this move slowly. My lawyer has advised me to not do anything with the car until we find out how the city wants to handle it.

More than likely, a city appraiser is not going to know anything about hot rods. Then, it will probably be up to me to furnish estimates and prices on parts and time to install or replace them. But like I said, I just have to wait and see.

You got everything nailed down? It looks like the big blow is just a few hours away. I experienced the side winds of hurricanes a couple of times when I lived in Pasadena. We got lucky and the storms hit on either side of us, the first one making landfall over by Lake Charles and the second down near Corpus. It looks like you won't get off too easy this time. Good luck, hold on tight, and give us a full report when it's over. Steve

tfeverfred said:
I don't know. I really won't until I tear it down. The crossmember and perch can be replaced. If the frame is bent, that changes everything. I have already come to realise that this is not going to be a quick process. The fact that I'm dealing with the city is making this move slowly. My lawyer has advised me to not do anything with the car until we find out how the city wants to handle it.

More than likely, a city appraiser is not going to know anything about hot rods. Then, it will probably be up to me to furnish estimates and prices on parts and time to install or replace them. But like I said, I just have to wait and see.
having had a few wrecks with cars that are not "typical" i would pay the $ to get someone that does know hot rods to appraise it as well and let the lawyers handle it!!!

Yea, it's nice as heck, but for that cost, I could do some horse tradin' and shave a bunch off that cost. Miss Behavin' is now Miss Fortune. She's gonna do well.

Think lakester with a twist.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back