Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Off The Wall Bucket

Hack

I wasn't ever a fan of T-buckets but the more I looked at the old school buckets that were built in the 50's the more I liked them. So far my plan is a Mopar flathead 6 to a modern auto trans with a 8" rear out back. I have a Model A front end and a speedway body, hopefully I can't pick up some steel this weekend and start on the frame.

10534d50-26b2-49c6-9335-65a61bcc8008.jpg

P1080261.jpg

The flathead six increases the cool factor tremendously. I'd probably try to figure out a way to do a T5 or an old three-plus-OD trans, but that's just me. You should be able to get an adapter to fit the engine to a 200-4R or AOD.

The 200R4 was my first thought but after looking at the prices from Wilcap for the adapter and trying to find a 200R4 that wasn't crazy expensive I kind of gave up on that idea. I know someone who has made a few adapters for Mopar tranny's behind the flathead so I'll probably run a 904 3 speed, I'd like to use an A500 3 speed overdrive but it's 6.5" inches longer than a 904 and the tailshaft would end right at the back of the body.

You could always just run a TH350 or a C4. They're pretty compact, and common as dirt. Yes, you would still need an adapter, but the trans wouldn't cost you much at all.

I like the 904 because it was designed to be used behind 6 cylinders and small V8's so it doesn't waste as much power as a TH350 and the adapter is cheaper than the GM tranny adapter.

Excellent choice all around! I love different. I'm going with the old time bobtail look like below, but with an old sprint car / track roadster style nose. It may end up looking goofy, but if I don't like it, I'll fall back to a more traditional nose.

The flat head Mopar 6 is one of the engines I was looking for when I stumbled on the GM V6 I'm using at a price I couldn't ignore.

Attachments

• Shorty T Bucket 1.jpg
    Shorty T Bucket 1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 50
Started putting my little flattie together, small block Chevy valves, 455 Buick valve springs, lots of porting and a "full race cam". My friend Mike at Rodall Performance cast these awesome side covers.

1234146_317736185039842_409855768_n.jpg

Hack, if you need some frame ideas look at nehrspeedcraft.com , yours looks to be like theirs. Lots of good pics and some videos.

Hack, For videos on You Tube type in " 23 t hot rod in a box" several videos that maybe of help.

I patterned mine after theirs, but scaled down the "Z" in the frame to 3" instead of how much they have. The lower the body the more trans and driveline tunnel you will have= less leg room. It looks like they have that covered though and if thats what your looking for, go for it!100_2133.JPG

2x3 3/16" wall tubing drilled and sleeved with 2 1/8 3/16" wall tubing. It was a a lot of work drilling and sleeving it but I think it will look cool when it's all done.

IMG_20130922_172736.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back