Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

OK, I give up

Status
Not open for further replies.

TubT

I've been trying to post a photo here, and I just can't get it to work. What am I not understanding? I've done it here before, but it just freezed when I click on the photo icon.

Are you posting the photo from a Photobucket account, Mike? That is what I use and I have no problem.

Jim

You can't be giving up on something this simple, we're just not going to let you do that. :winkn:

Take a look at THIS THREAD and you'll see step-by-step instructions.

And actually, if you copy the IMG code to your clipboard, all you need to do here is paste that code into your post. There's no need to use the Insert Image button. The Insert Image button will wrap your image URL in IMG tags, but you already have that, so just paste it in and Bob's your uncle.

Sing out if you need more help.

I wonder why you guys are having problems. It is the same principle as every other forum (except for maybe the hamb). Avatar have a size limit so they have to be tiny files. You can use photobucket or a free program called ifranview to resize the pics.

I wonder why you guys are having problems. It is the same principle as every other forum (except for maybe the hamb). Avatar have a size limit so they have to be tiny files. You can use photobucket or a free program called ifranview to resize the pics.

It is NOT the same as every other forum. If it was, I wouldn't be having a problem.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6061/6065648633_659048547b_z.jpg

OK, let's see what that did. I copied the image location on Flickr, and posted it here.

EDIT: I just checked, and what you have is a link.

When I right-click on the insert image icon up above, I get nothing. No action. Using the newest form of FireFox, and successfully posting photos on fora all over the internet.

OK, now the edit box is frozen so I can't even post the edit I just made.

in google chrome

6065648633_659048547b_z.jpg

Worked for me so it is the same. Click and open your link in flickr. Right click the photo and click "copy image location". Come back to your post here, click the little picture icon, right click your mouse and paste the image location. Wallla, you are done.

This photo below is the old format but the same process.
pic8.jpg

OK, how surprised would you be to learn that I have been doing exactly what you suggest. Only problem is, when I click on the image icon, nothing happens now. When I first tried it, the entire page turned gray and froze.

Then, when I tried to edit the post, the edit window will open, I can type my changes, but clicking on the "Save" button does absolutely nothing. Then I have to abandon the edit.

I'm telling you there is a problem, since it works on all the other fora I visit, and I've been doing this since I was a sysop on a CompuServe forum some 18 years ago.

I don't know, Mike, I'm not very computer literate but I am able to post pictures through Photobucket and I restored my avatar by using Gavatar, which is available on this site. I just performed both tasks this morning and I posted pictures last night so I would tend to believe that things are working as they always have. I'm sorry that I am unable to give you any better advice than that.

Jim

:wall:

It is NOT the same as every other forum. If it was, I wouldn't be having a problem.
Well, actually it IS the same as every other forum. The IMG BBCode used to insert images on this forum is absolutely identical to the BBCode used to insert images on every other forum platform I am familiar with.

OK, let's see what that did. I copied the image location on Flickr, and posted it here.
And that accomplished absolutely nothing, because the image location was not wrapped in IMG tags.

Somebody let me know when the software is working here again.
It's been working, all along.

OK, how surprised would you be to learn that I have been doing exactly what you suggest. Only problem is, when I click on the image icon, nothing happens now. When I first tried it, the entire page turned gray and froze.
Well, that's not down to the forum software. It sounds to me like you are blocking javascript.

Then, when I tried to edit the post, the edit window will open, I can type my changes, but clicking on the "Save" button does absolutely nothing. Then I have to abandon the edit.
That also sounds like you're blocking javascript. What happens if you try to use the Full Editor, when you edit a post?

I'm telling you there is a problem, since it works on all the other fora I visit, and I've been doing this since I was a sysop on a CompuServe forum some 18 years ago.
Sit back and watch, as I prove the problems are on your end of the pipe.

insertimage1.png

Now that image alone proves the software is working as advertised. If it wasn't working or if something was broken, that image wouldn't be there, now would it?

That is a screenshot of your image, as it appears on Flickr. All I've done is click on the image location link you posted above. Copy that URL to your operating system's clipboard.

insertimage2.png

Insert your cursor in the Reply window and the editor will open.

From there, you have two options to insert an image. You can click on the Image icon...

insertimage4.png

...which will open the Image Properties dialog.

Again, this proves things are working as advertised. If they weren't working I wouldn't have been able to take these screenshots of it working, nor would I be able to post any of these images.

insertimage5.png

There, you can see I've pasted your image location URL into the Image Properties box. From there, I click the OK button, and...

insertimage6.png

And woudja look at that? There is your image, inserted into the post, just as advertised.

Now, if you're somehow blocking javascript, you're going to find a lot of forum functions are going to be unavailable to you. Please note, that certainly doesn't mean they are not working (remember, the above images prove the opposite), that just means they are not going to work for you.

But that doesn't mean you cannot insert inline images in your posts. Just use the same BBCode every forum platform out there uses and Bob's your uncle.

insertimage3.png

Which I have just done with the above image, to prove that also works as advertised.

I think if you look around this forum, you'll find evidence that I have been testing this version of the forum software since early June. VegasBruce and T-Odd were on the test site, along with a moderator from one of my other forums and the owner of a site I co-admin. We found a few bugs and reported them, to have them squashed, before the software became publicly available. One of the bugs I found was browser-specific, which will show you I was testing forum functions with different browser platforms and on different operating systems. Do you honestly think I would have installed this version if things were not working? Sorry, but that winds me up, more than a little. Why would I waste my time, testing software, if I didn't give a rats' rectum whether it works or not?

Everyone else is posting images, just as they always have on all previous versions of the software, but you insist something is not working, something is wrong or something is different. And when you realize you have a problem, instead of taking the time to just ask someone for help, you post a topic titled, "OK, I give up". Well, as you can now see, something is not working. On your end of the pipe. Something is wrong. On your end of the pipe. Something is different. On your end of the pipe.

How about this? If you want to try to fix your problems, ask for a bit of help, before you start jumping to conclusions. And consider providing a few details that will help us track down what is happening on your end. At one point, you mentioned you are using "the newest form of FireFox", but that really tells me nothing. The latest version of Firefox 3 is 3.6.20. The latest version of Firefox 4 is 4.0. The latest version of Firefox 5 is 5.0.1. The latest version of Firefox 6 is 6.0. The latest version of Firefox 7 is 7.0Beta1. The latest version of Firefox 8 is 8.0Aurora2. I'm currently running Firefox 9, which isn't even called Firefox yet, it's called Mozilla Nightly. So what is your latest version of Firefox? What version of what operating system are you running? Have you tried to insert images from another browser? Do you have access to a computer in another location, to try posting inline images from there?

Johnny, I'll post you a quick tutorial on avatars in this topic. Your post was split into that one, actually.

6065648633_659048547b_z.jpg

Did it work?

Edit, see next post... I think I have found an Edit bug...

Worked for me too, with Firefox on a Mac. I can try with Safari on this Mac, and almost any browser you can think of on almost any version of Windows (we'll go no earlier than Windows 98).

Mike, when you want to insert an image and you have the *.jpg's URL just type a [ and then follow it with the letters I then M then G and you'll need a ] then paste the URL and then close it with [ then the / followed by the I then M then G and a ] ...

Works for me every time.

Mike, I have done everything you suggested. I have no doubt it's something in my setup; however, since it works one every other forum I visit, it is a unique conflict. I'm not blocking any javascript that works anywhere else.

So, while the problem might be peculiar to my situation, it is nevertheless also peculiar to your software, and none others that I have tried.

OK, nothing happens when I try to use the Full Editor in the reply window. Nothing changes.

6067138581_629e46eb0f_z.jpg

I got the above image by pasting in the URL, then putting image tags around it.

When I try to edit my post, the whole thread freezes and I have to go back a page to be able to re-enter the thread.

EDIT: I am now trying to edit this post with Internet Explorer.

That worked. Now I'll try to post a photo.

6067138581_629e46eb0f_z.jpg

And that worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back