Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

OK, I give up

Status
Not open for further replies.
In post #9 I posted your picture using firefox 6. You have issues with your computer not the site. I wish I could help but I don't know what else to say. Sorry.

I got an error when attempting to edit, but I missed the screenshot and it never came back. I kinda hate it when it happens like that. Doesn't help anyone if I miss the screenshot.

So it appears to be a problem with FireFox 6.0, peculiar to your web site.
You think?

wait.jpg

Ooops, hang on. There's nothing to fix.

ff62.png

Posting images, using the Image Properties pop-up, in Firefox 6.0, just 5 minutes ago.

So, it appears to be a problem with Firefox 6.0, peculiar to your computer.

I took the 3 seconds required to search for any possible problems with Firefox 6 and javascript. I found 3 or 4 isolated links, with people saying they are having issues. Firefox 6.0 was moved into the release channel, a week ago today. If there was an actual bug in Firefox, causing it to not render javascript properly, the Mozilla help forums would be choked solid with complaints. Here is an example of someone saying javascript was broken in FF4. (FYI, I inserted that code using the Link popup.)

I was using the Nightly builds of Firefox 6, back in early May. And I never had an issue with it. I've used FF7 without problems, FF8 without problems and as soon as I finish this post, I'm going to close FF6 and go back to the Nightly version of FF9.

I don't know. For years, I've been recommending scripts like CCleaner and Ad-Aware to Windows users of all my sites. I've recommended people to run these scripts at least once a week, preferably once a day. I've recommend people clear their browser cache history at least once a week, preferably once a day. I've recommended people ensure their browsers are the latest releases. I've recommended people install alternate browsers, so they can test alleged problems in more than one browser environment. Some people follow those recommendations and have zero problems. Other people ignore what I'm suggesting and they always seem to be fighting one problem or another.

If I felt downloading, installing and running CCleaner to be a waste of time, I wouldn't recommend it. If I felt clearing your browser cache was a waste of time, I wouldn't recommend it. If I had been having nothing but problems over these last 30 years I've been online, I wouldn't offer advise to anyone. I've run all flavors of Internet Explorer (admittedly, as infrequently as possible), I've run Firefox since the days when it was called Phoenix and then Firebird. I ran Netscape, back in the Mosaic days. I bought the first C-64 I could find, and since it didn't have a terminal program available, I coded my own. I've run Arora, SeaMonkey (which is a descendant of Netscape), Iceweasel (Debian's version of Firefox) and Konquerer. I use Chrome/Chromium, Opera, Safari, Epiphany and Midori. I've never had problems, of any kind, with any of them.

If you can't get Firefox 6 to work, roll back to FF5. Or take a walk on the wild side and download FF7 from the Beta channel. It's due to be released on 27 September anyway, so you can beat the rush.

And here's something I should have mentioned about FF7. You're going to love it, because it takes advantage of the new Mozilla project, known as MemShrink.

Fireofx has always been a memory hog. And it has always had some memory leak issues. People could open Firefox on a machine with sparse rescources and come back the next day to find it had crashed. It's memory footprint would just keep growing until it ran the machine out of RAM.

MemShrink is a huge step forward for Mozilla. You are going to find Firefox' memory footprint to be about 1/2 of what it was in previous releases. And plugging the memory leaks really picks up performance. I was running FF7, back in early-June when it was still a Nightly build and had zero problems with it. So if you're seeing problems you think are FF6-related, make the jump to the Mozilla Beta channel. You can get both Aurora and Beta downloads, HERE.

Took your advice and got FF7 Beta, big difference in speed. I'm guessing that when the final release comes out there will be automatic upgrades from the beta release. Sound right?

Jeff

On Windows, yes.

If you added the Beta repository to Linux, you'll be upgraded to FF8, when it moves from Aurora to Beta.

Mozilla has adopted a 6-week, staged release program, like Google Chrome has been using. Before March of this year, Mozilla has always had feature-driven releases. When they came up with a new feature, they would have a new release. And that was usually around 18 months or so.

Since March, Mozilla has been doing 6-week, 4-staged releases.

On 16 August, FF6 was released as stable, FF7 was moved to the Beta channel, FF8 was moved to the Aurora channel and what will become FF9 was introduced to the Nightly channel. And since I have the Nightly repo in my sources, I'm already running FF9.

On 27 September, FF7 will become the stable release, FF8 will move to the Beta channel, FF9 will move to the Aurora channel and what I imagine will become FF10 will be introduced to the Nightly channel. My stable FF6 install will be upgraded to FF7 and my Nightly install will be upgraded to FF10 (?).

On 8 November, everything will move to the next stage, in the same manner. FF8 will be stable, FF9 will be Beta, FF10 (?) will be Aurora and FF11(?) will become the Nightly build.

On 20 December, FF9 will finally become the stable release. But I've had it installed here since last Tuesday.

On this Linux machine, I always keep a copy of the current release, in case the Nightly build goes down in flames. But I rarely ever use the stable version, because I do have the Nightly channel repo set up. I'm always 3 versions ahead of the current, stable release. That's why I cannot understand why people might be having trouble with FF6. I checked and I had FF6 running on this machine back in mid-April, as a Nightly build. It presented me with zero problems Six weeks later, FF6 Nightly was replaced by FF7 Nightly. Six weeks later, I had FF8 Nightly. Now I have FF9 Nightly. On 27 September, I'll get FF7 back as a stable release, but my FF9 Nightly will be upgraded to whatever the next release will be called. On 8 November, I'll get FF8 back as a stable release, but my Nightly build will be upgraded again.

If I see a version coming through that is buggy (not likely), I'll let people know about it. Mozilla warns people the Nightly builds are bug-ridden and to avoid them if they are afraid of errors. When Invision released the private-Beta version of this forum software, I *think* I was running FF7 Nightly. There I was, testing a Beta-release of the forum software with a bleeding-edge release of FF. And, I found a bug. Although I'm still not sure if it was a bug with the new editor in the forum software, or if it was a bug with FF7 Nightly. Somebody fixed something, because after a forum software upgrade a a couple of FF7 upgrades, everything was working properly again. It was nasty, because you could type a half-dozen lines of text and hit the Backspace key to correct a mis-spelling and it would delete everything you had typed. Todd and Bruce were over there, helping me test and I think my frustration with deleted text was amusing them a wee bit. But it was a good reminder to test browsers, so I hit that test site with every browser I could lay my hands on. I even developed a brief fling with the Epiphany browser, at the time.

I don't see any earth-shaking developments in FF9, like MemShrink was in FF7, but it is working a treat for me. I'll let you know what the next version is like, in another 5 weeks.

I ran CCleaner just a couple of days ago.

As I said...it works on all the other fora I visit. Even the clunky cludgy software at NTBA, which I have advocated be updated for years. I haven't come across anyplace else where I have a problem. So, while the problem is probably peculiar to my setup, it is also peculiar to yours.

It's like truck drivers and docks. On any given day, any given dock can give any given driver a terrible time. I've seen it happen with perfectly straight docks with plenty of room in front of them.

There is so much software going between computers, who knows what little bit between yours and mine is conflicting? But conflicting it is, and only in FireFox (as I showed you it works in IE).

I may try that FF7.

I tried to test the editor, but while it opens the editing window, when I've made my edit, it refuses to save the changes.

Testing edit function.

EDIT - Test with Nightly build and working just as expected.

EDIT - Test with FF6, works a treat.

EDIT - Chromium 12 works.

EDIT - Epiphany 2.30.6 works.

EDIT - Opera 11.10 works

EDIT - Firefox 3.6.20, an oldies but goodies, works.

EDIT - Safari 5.1 works.

I dunno, you keep telling me we have something wrong here, but I'm not able to find it.

In addition, check your add-ons, to see if the Java plug-in is enabled.

On FF6, I am seeing Java Plug-In 1.6.0_26 is enabled.

On FF3.6.20, I am seeing the same plug-in as being enabled.

On FF7, I am seeing the same plug-in as being enabled.

Let me log out of here with FF6 and try FF9.

EDIT - On FF9, the Java test works and I show the same plug-in as being enabled.

EDIT - If you by some chance do not see a Java Plug-In listed, check your extensions. Do you see Java Console is there but disabled? I am seeing that in FF7 on a Windows box. But Java is still working for me, because the plug-in is handling it for me.

Here is a page that will allow you to check your Firefox plug-ins and update them, if necessary.

Just for grins and giggles, I uninstalled the Java Console entirely. And things are still working a treat.

Try this, if you seem to be having problems with java - http://www.java.com/...ad/testjava.jsp

Just click on the link and see what happens. I just visited the site and found everything working as expected in FF6.

I'm running Windows 7 and FireFox 6. I don't know what java is or does but I tried your link. I found out that the version of java that I had was out of date and read that older versions should be removed from your computer. Following their instructions I removed 4 old versions and then installed the newest one. Has it made a difference in the way my computer is running, not that I can tell but who really knows what's going on inside this thing (insert evil laugh)?

I've spent 5-6 hours, over the last couple days, trying to sort what could possibly be happening. And I've learned exactly nothing. For every Mozilla help post I can find saying FF6 won't work, there are a half-dozen replies saying it works a treat. I found a post reporting someone was having similar problems with Firefox 4. Did anyone report this problem here, when using FF4?

I've tried to find a way to duplicate the issue. No hope. I've tried multiple browsers, on multiple machines. No hope. I've visited multiple Invision 3.2.x sites, with multiple browsers, on multiple machines. No hope. I've scoured the Invision company forums, trying to find anyone reporting a similar problem. One (count 'em - one, uno, ein, singular) user reported having problems uploading an XML file to his site, using FF6. Other than that, no hope. I found one 'tech' forum, where someone said they were having a similar problem. One of the technogeeks replied by pointing out that the Java Console is not compatible with FF6.

ffext.png

Look, that is Firefox 6, with absolutely NO Java Console installed at all. Yet, the forum still works 100%. So much for the technogeek, eh? Screw those idiots, an operable Java Console shouldn't mean a damn thing, because we're talking javascript here.

I don't get it. I run operating systems most people are scared to even test, but I never have problems. I run software most people are scared to even try, but I never have problems. I admit to avoiding questionable Web sites, but after 30+ years online, I am still waiting for my first computer virus. With the exception of the laptop, my computers are only powered down when the local power company has problems. And on the two machines here in the office, the browsers are rarely ever closed, unless I am moving to another version of the same browser. But I never have problems. I clear cache at least once a day, and sometimes as often as 3 times a day. If I do use Windows, then I run CCleaner and Ad-Aware, at least once a day, and often as much as twice a day. I defrag my Windows drive at least once a week. I take care of my computers. And I never have problems. Some people spend 2-3 hours a day online. I am generally in this chair a minimum of 12 hours a day. And that number often stretches to as much as 16 hours a day. I use the Hell out of my computers. But I never have problems. I'm still seeing about one member a week, suffering the Windows/Internet Explorer update blues. I never had that problem. Now TubT and putz can't post images from FF6. I don't have that problem. TubT can't edit posts from FF6. I don't have that problem.

How many of you have cleared your browser's cache in the last 24 hours?

How many of you Windows users have run CCleaner in the last 24 hours?

How many of you Windows users have run Ad-Aware in the last 24 hours?

How many of you have taken the time to ensure your operating system is up to date, in the last 24 hours?

How many of you have taken the time to ensure other scripts and programs are up to date, in the last 24 hours?

I've done all of those things. Now maybe I'm anal about my computers. But I'm the one who's not having computer/operating system/program problems.

I had completely forgotten, because I've been running Linux Mint the last week, but the only Firefox installation I have on the PCLinuxOS partition is FF6. And up until this past week, I had been running PCLinuxOS for at least a month. With no problems.

pclosff6.png

And here I am, back in PCLOS, with everything working as it should.

EDIT - Wow, this is a cobbled-up mess. openSUSE, running in a Live environment, with Firefox 7 running out of RAM. This is slower than slow and the monitor is flickering off and on. But I am successfully editing this post.

EDIT - Fedora 15, same set-up. And I offically despise GNOME 3. But everything is working.

EDIT - OS X Snow Leopard, Perrier in hand, with pinkie finger pointed skyward. Oh yes, also in FF6. Also working.

EDIT - Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat, with a fresh install of FF6 also works.

I had the same problem page would turn gray lock up and no image properties tab. The next day everything worked fine didn't change a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back