Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Old chevy I-Beam

HAceT

I've seen several pic's of T's with the I-Beam style front axle and they have holes cut in them. Did they come that way or is that something I can do to mine to make it look different? I am using a old Chevy I-Beam and would like to have the holes in them. Maybe round or square or some other design. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

They did not come with holes. If I remember correctly, it was done to reduce wieght, by drag racers and like a lot of things associated with drag racing, the look evolved to the streets.

And yes, the "look" is good when applied correctly.

Now come on.... don't that drilled axle look BITCHEN'!

sweet_t-1.jpg

You mentioned you have a Chevy. Probably an Econoline? Very traditional and it is more than able to work with a T Bucket. Check out Roth's bucket styled rides.

I drilled mine on both my '27 and my '23. A drill press and a bimetal holesaw works perfect. I used a 7/8 inch size because it fit better into the channel of the I beam, but some people use 1 inch ones. What I do first is lay out a scribe line down the very center of the axle, from side to side. Then I lay 1 inch fender washers (OD) in a symentrical pattern across the scribe line until I get the pattern I want. Then I drill a 1/4 inch hole in the center of each spot where I want the 7/8 hole to end up, and finally, I use a hole saw with a metal dowel rod inserted instead of a drill bit (it doesn't wallow out the hole and walk on you this way) and I cut out the final holes.

Don

tpaintedgrilleshellinstalled005.jpg

Thanks Don for the tip on using the dowel rod after you first drill with the 1/4 ".File that one away

Rick said:
Thanks Don for the tip on using the dowel rod after you first drill with the 1/4 ".File that one away

I wish I could take credit for that one, but it was suggested by another member on one forum I belong to, and darned if it doesn't work. The problem I always had with holesaws is that the 1/4 inch bit would route out the center hole while cutting and you would end up with a ragged cut, especially in thicker steel. I used to drill a 3/16 hole first, then let the 1/4 bit on the holesaw center itself on that, but it was still a problem.

The guy who suggested that said to use 1/4 inch drill rod, but who has that laying around? So I took a long 1/4 grade 8 bolt and cut the head off, and ground a flat spot on the threaded end so it would register on the holesaw set screw. Now I had a long, smooth shaft in the center, and when inserted into a predrilled 1/4 inch hole it stayed centered all the way through.

That's the cool thing about forums, we all learn tricks from one another. :welcome:

Don

I used an old long roll pin punch I had, cut the round end off. Ground a flat spot on one end.

Ok. Thanks for the input. No it's not Econoline it is a old Chevy truck axle. You tried to throw me a trick question didn't you.;) The next question is does it hurt the strength of the axle? I don't want to mess anything up.

It only marginally affects the strength, not enough to even think about unless you go nuts and remove a whole lot of material. But if you just space out some nice holes for cosmetics, it will be fine. And you will lighten the car by over 1 whole ounce. :welcome::lol:

Don

Rick said:

This one is very important when drilling holes for gauges.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back