Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Opinions needed on I beam axles

Where's Fred when we need him? do a search for "Miss Behaven" or tfeverfred. hHe used it on his car after the crash. Looked very good.

Ron

I think he purchased a superbell axel

I think he purchased a superbell axel

Here is a pic from his rebuild he says it is a Dago axle.
miss_fortune_dago2.jpg

That axle isn't the one he finially used. He did get a Superbell Axle from Speedway. I found the pics but dont know how to move them here. If you're buying a dropped "I" beam, be sure you're getting a forged unit.

Ron

That axle isn't the one he finially used. He did get a Superbell Axle from Speedway. I found the pics but dont know how to move them here. If you're buying a dropped "I" beam, be sure you're getting a forged unit.

Ron
Here it is I think first was his first choice,
missfortune004.jpg

Thay are cast here is the pete and jakes site.
PeteandJakes

axles.jpg

I-Beam Axles Cast from high strength 65-45-12 ductile iron, Super Bell's I-Beam axles are designed to accept '37-'48 Ford passenger car or Econoline spindles. Applications include '28-'34 Ford. 1/2 ton Ford trucks up through 1941, and '35-'36 Fords when you split the original bones. Split wishbone kits and instructional sheets are also available.

The key words there are "high strength ductile iron". No Fence posts or washing machines in there.

Ron

Here's a cast axle for ya...

4603521821_4fa493ba7e.jpg

Magnum axle I think he said it was.

I'm a little confused here. I was under the impression the Superbell axles were forged, maybe not but there are litterly thousnds of them in use today. As far as I know, could be wrong, these axles are made to very ridgid specs here in the states. Jim Ewing, the founder of Superbell did his home work before offering this axle to the public. I have seen SB axles that were in collisions and they were bent but not broken. That Axle was also chomed ... embrittlement maybe??? Just some thoughts on the subject.

Ron

I just found a website roadsters.com They sell original ford i beams they drop themselves. That looks to be a great way to go.

I'm a little confused here. I was under the impression the Superbell axles were forged, maybe not but there are litterly thousnds of them in use today.

They're cast from ductile iron which has mechanical properties similar to 1035 forging steel. They've been around for the last 30+ years, so their reliability seems proven. Can you find instances of failure where the axle was defective? Maybe, but they wouldn't have been around this long if they were inherently inferior.

Bob

So-Cal Speed in Sacramento is where I bought my I-beam and yeah-it's forged! The roads here in New Jersey, and pretty much the whole northeast are pot hole city and you want, and need a forged axle! They also give a good discount to H.A.M.B. Alliance members. Bob L.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back