Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Opposing Coil Spring Suspension

BERNIESWELDING

C CAB MOLD 13.jpgi just downloaded 4 pictures of what i believe is the best looking if not the smoothist functioning front suspension since the leaf spring. this concept was drawn up by artist ED NEWTON for DAN WOODS back in the late 60's. i own the parts and i spoke to DAN WOODS personally on how to put this design together. the whole concept of front suspension is in the goemetry. if the calculatiobs are off the front end will be all over the place and won't handle at all. infact a radio flyer wagon will have more stability. if anyone is interested in this set up let me know.

to look at this set up it looks complicated but once the concept is understood one will wonder why this is not used more. this is simular to what is on F-1 indy cars. it is almost an independent suspension, but with a straight axel it is not. but on the same note when a front suspension that has a leaf spring has a tendency to go into wheel hop at certain speeds if a bump is hit on one side or the other or if going through an intersection that has perpindicular ruts. the leaf spring wants to allow the wobble. the individual coil springs act indipenditally more than the leaf spring. when the inertia of one side tries to make one side lift the other side is an opposite reaction especially with a leaf spring. with a individual spring on each side the coil springs are indepiendly exerting preasure on each side. in other words the center pivioting action is not in the equation, the reason is because of the bell cranks on both sides that are attached to the end of the frame rails. the fulcrom action that the "L" shaped bell crank is a ratio that transfers action to the spring.

check this out and you will see what i am saying.

That suspension has been around for a very long time and there are quite a few buckets that run that exact and similar styles.

This one was at the NTBA Nats last week.

DSCF3645-vi.jpg

That blue ones interesting, in as much as he still has the upright shocks.

Kind of defeats the purpose a bit, but good to see something different. Maybe lever action shocks would be less intrusive. Gerry will know what works & what doesnt work.

Here is a Dan Wood's car that was owned by a friend of mine.

IMG_0850.jpg

Jim

Bernie, do you have dementioned drawings of this fron suspension?

Ron

THIS IS FOR T ODD

that picture of the horizontal coil springs is awsome. just looking at the way that one was done lets me think there is adjustment for frame torque from the engine wanting to lean to the right when power is put to the ground. that design is awsome.

BERNIE

On the drawing, it looks to me it needs a shackle of some kind to account for the change in length of the control arm when it swings.

On the drawing, it looks to me it needs a shackle of some kind to account for the change in length of the control arm when it swings.

well there is a pivot in the center and a shakle on either side and the shock is attached to the shakle as well and then there is the tension adjustment bolts. there is just so much going on there. i think it needs to be simplified a bit.

I was wondering the same thing on Bernies/Dan Woods design about how the bell cranks deal with the two different arcs as it moves. Having one side in a small slot would let it all work smoothly and as the other side was ''locked'' it would serve as a panhard bar to stop sideways movement I thought?
I presume the shocks are some kind of gas shocks as regular oil dampers don't work very well on their side?
Nice look though , with everything down low. Makes the front end very clean looking and shows off the grille shell and head lights.

You have to keep in mind that the suspension travel at the tire is only a few inches. By the time you get to the lever that diminishes substancually. As Golly stated a slot would help to relieve binding. I'm womdering if that is a shock at all. Seems to me you couild pull this off with just a coil spring. The thing is it would have to have a very high spring rate as it is mounted horizontally. That works in favor of this set up. The higher the spring rate, the less rebound you have. Just my thoughts.

Are these going to be marketed or can we get some sort of detailed drawing of it. If so, I would be very interested.

Ron

I can't tell from the pics if this is with a 4 link, but if it is I think it would be great, and it looks to me like it serve as a pan heard bar as well.

You have to keep in mind that the suspension travel at the tire is only a few inches. By the time you get to the lever that diminishes substancually. As Golly stated a slot would help to relieve binding. I'm womdering if that is a shock at all. Seems to me you couild pull this off with just a coil spring. The thing is it would have to have a very high spring rate as it is mounted horizontally. That works in favor of this set up. The higher the spring rate, the less rebound you have. Just my thoughts.

Are these going to be marketed or can we get some sort of detailed drawing of it. If so, I would be very interested.

Ron

my plan is to make a kit available with instructions for installation. i have not got all the cost factors put together. i am looking for a machinest that will do the parts for a reasonable cost. the name of the game is make the parts at a reasonable cost so the customer can afford the parts.

remember right now money is tight and hobbiest want to play...............

more to come

my plan is to make a kit available with instructions for installation. i have not got all the cost factors put together. i am looking for a machinest that will do the parts for a reasonable cost. the name of the game is make the parts at a reasonable cost so the customer can afford the parts.

remember right now money is tight and hobbiest want to play...............

more to come
Give Ron a call at RPM he's a sponser here and a Manufacturer of T-Bucket parts.

A guy in our hot rod club built a Bucket in the late 70's with torsion bars up each chassis rail with arms coming out the front of each chassis rail going out to a shackle system on the axle somehow. With a small lever shock on each side made for a clean uncluttered look too. Have to see if I can find some pictures of it.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back