Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

overheating problem

Manifold only has 8 bolts. Edlebrock 2716.
This time I did what Mike said to seal it. Used that 3m stuff. (will last time)

The block wan't decked..

Anything I can use in the clean the top of the pistons that won't harm the cylinders?

Head guy here is busy busy. So going to be about a week. I'll keep you post on what he finds.

Just use a cup brush and be careful to stay off the cylinders, use a vacuum cleaner and a detail brush to get the carbon from between the piston crown and the top ring.
I myself usually get a piece if masking tape, fold it over, and slide it between the top piston land and the cylinder wall, helps protect the cylinder agianst to metal cup of the cup brush, and helps keep the trash from loading up around the top piston ring. I use shop vac,and when I pull the tape out, the vac will pick up all the loose stuff.
I put the tape around each piston that I roll up to about 1" to 2" below deck, clean it, then remove tape, roll another up, do it, so on and so forth. Just take your time.
After you clean it all, make sure the deck is all clean, and lay some good, clean heavy rags over the decks. Get it clean enough to eat off of....

Are 5&8 fed by the same intake runner ??? Look at your manifold , you'll be able to tell..
dave
Sorry, He's got a dual plane.....duh....I had a single plane on my mind. Just got thru working on a Dart block/heads with one of the really tall 'Sniper intakes', its a single plane and has a plug back there.....

Got the word back from the head guy. They were redone heads. Not new.
Only good things are no cracks, valve seals, valve guides where good, and good springs.
They only did a one angle valve job, and the head surface was done with a belt sander.

So instead of dealing with that company and the return of the heads. My car would be broken even longer.
Told the head guy to do them right.
He told me because of my bad luck. He'd do the three angle valve job and surface the heads for $200

He'd do the three angle valve job and surface the heads for $200
And for your application, how is that three-angle valve job a good thing? Do you know? Or do you just think you know?

Fact - narrowing up the seating faces is going to cost you low-lift flow numbers.

Fact - narrowing up the seating faces will reduce heat transfer from the valve to the seat.

Merely having the ability to do something should never be the sole justification for actually doing it.

My understanding of a 3-angle valve job is : you use the entry & exit angles to raise or lower the seat & control the width of the seat ... I'll add that I haven't done a valve job in a number of years , maybe things have changed ??
dave

I wasn't sure if a 3 angle valve job was a good thing or not. All I know is the head guy said it had a one angle and not a good one at that. He recommended the three.
He had to take to surface down 12 on both heads to even them up. One seal had to be replaced.

So you get them back? Just to add more to your plate, did your head guy recommend a new gasket size for the intake? Or to have the intake planed down to match?

Just asking that question make me cringe, as I know you have had your hands full with this so far.

I wasn't sure if a 3 angle valve job was a good thing or not. All I know is the head guy said it had a one angle and not a good one at that. He recommended the three.
He had to take to surface down 12 on both heads to even them up. One seal had to be replaced.
I hope he replaced all of the valve seals while these heads were apart, Not just one. Just taking them apart will ruin the valve seals.

Sorry for the late update. Been super busy.

I hope he replaced all of the valve seals while these heads were apart, Not just one. Just taking them apart will ruin the valve seals.

yes, he replaced them all.

So you get them back? Just to add more to your plate, did your head guy recommend a new gasket size for the intake? Or to have the intake planed down to match?

Just asking that question make me cringe, as I know you have had your hands full with this so far.

The fel-pro 1255.

I got it back togother. No oil leaking, No overheating, It holds an idle, and slow revs works. Thats the good.
I think now that most of the problems are gone maybe this will be easy to solve now.
When it starts it back fires once on the driver side. Then idles. If I give it gas slow it revs up fine.
If I give it gas quick. Then it will back fire on the drivers side.
Vacuum gauge reading moves slow between 15 - 18, but the needle is vibrating up and down like it's having a seizure.

I was thinking that a valve was to tight.

I adjusted the valves twice. I thought I messed up the first time.
Maybe I'm doing it wrong.
I followed this methed:
Engine off (cold)
1. Turn engine to TDC.
2. Adjust intake rockers on #1, #2, #5, #7.
3. Adjust exhaust rockers on #1, #3, #4, #8.
4. Rotate engine ONE turn (BDC).
5. Adjust intake rockers on #3, #4, #6, #8.
6. Adjust exhaust rockers on #2, #5, #6, #7.
Turn the nut to where the pushrod has resistance when spinning, then an additional 1/4 turn

oino , that's the old method we used on STOCK cams , I've read it doesn't work so well on performance cams ... the method Mike quoted is what comp & crane reccomend & what I've used for the last 15 yrs. ..... works every time .
dave

Yes, Just finished doing the valve adjustment per the link Mike posted. Thank you.
Same problem as earlier.
No oil or black on the plugs.

I looked at that link for the vacuum gauge and I searched google.
None ready match what mine is doing. I'll get a quick clip of it tomorrow.

Last edited:
That looks pretty good. A vacuum gauge needle on an idling engine is not going to be rock solid, fixed, not moving. It will flutter some because the vacuum is not steady. There are pistons starting and stopping, the vacuum is not a constant. On a mild factory engine the reading is pretty steady. As one moves away from stock to higher performance, the reading will be lower and flutter even more at idle speed.

ok, hmmm. If that is norm.. Then I'm not sure what to do next. I guess I'll call fast tomorrow and ask some questions.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back