Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Paddy Wagon

HAceT

I recently got a chance to meet a really nice subject. He lives near Asheville NC and just purchased a Paddy Wagon. I was emailed that the subject needed a hand so I made contact and drove up. He used to own a bucket and bought this extremely nice ride. The builder kicked the front of the frame up by pie cutting the top of the frame which lowered the moter and steering arm. Anyway I gave him some suggestion when I noted some un safe looking welds or lack of. Anyway I really enjoyed meeting him and I told him about this site and all the knowledge available. I hope he shows up. Here is his ride.
PADDYWAGON005.jpg

PADDYWAGON007.jpg

PADDYWAGON009.jpg

I maybe redoing the bucket and removing the body and making my own paddy wagon some what. More with a POW theme.

That's a sweet ride, I never really cared for C cabs but that one's changed my mind.

Very nice ride but, the frame modification is a little radical for my taste. Still nice though.....Ron(ruggs)

Nice looking ride, I'm thinking of a C-cab for my chassis. If I do I want to build a camper in the rear, something like a teardrop

Nice looking ride, I'm thinking of a C-cab for my chassis. If I do I want to build a camper in the rear, something like a teardrop
The builder of this ride is a fella from Muskogee Oklahoma . I met him at the starbird event last year. He was quite a character fo sho

The builder of this ride is a fella from Muskogee Oklahoma . I met him at the starbird event last year. He was quite a character fo sho
That is a nice looking car for the new owner to make his own,especially if it requires a new frame underneath or even pulled down to checkout the welding. I would think that would be wise before the owner put any miles on it so that it is safe. Alot of work has gone into making that one individual ride that's for sure,cool.

yeah the wagon is sweet.
IMG00082-20101003-0447.jpg

IMG00079-20101003-0446.jpg

The steering arm is about 1-1 1/2 inches off the ground and the drive shaft and all is real close to the ground because of the way they pied the front of the frame. They took 2 pie cuts out. The frame wall thickness is thin for my tasted. Maybe 1/8 inch thick tubing. I saw where they drilled into the frame and left the hole and it looked real thin. I believe he'll be fine if we can get the parts welded up right and maybe raise the front some how. Me, I'd do a whole new frame since the rest of the frame is straight with no kick up. I just still love the design and the new owner is a great guy too. Hopefully he'll take me up on the offer to come down and allow us to go over it for him at Tom's. I told him we can make into a cookout...

The old owner was the yard foreman at a salvage steel outfit. He told me he just built as he went. Mexican dude and his son built it . he ask me to look at the steering at starbirds and i suggested a through the firewall option the steering shaft was right on the ground. He trailered it to the show and had a heck of a time getting it off the trailer. But your right it is a cool car just frame issues was its reason for the sale as i get it from him at the time.

The more I study the photos that HAceT posted the more I find to really like about this car,eg,notice the storage draw under the seat, the old revolver for the shifter, the red and blue lights on the front,are just some of the little details that make this car outstanding. I agree with you HAceT in that it would be tidier and easier to build a complete new frame especially if the original is only that thin. The only thing that I would personally change in the rebuild is the width of the front wheels and tyres to a more narrower set as I feel it makes the car look like too much formula 1 race car at the moment. I hope the new owner does take you up on the help and cook over idea. :beeer:

Whiplash I hope he does too. I love working on these things. Reference the storage it even has storage under the back seats too. The sits lift up to get to them. That is one of the reasons I'm thinking about changing out my T to this. My farme is more than long enough and since I have no kick up I can build it on the ground and then lift it to the frame.

I'm not trying to be critical, but take another look at the front tires. It just seems the tires should be rolling the other direction to push water to the outsides of the tires.

I'm not trying to be critical, but take another look at the front tires. It just seems the tires should be rolling the other direction to push water to the outsides of the tires.

Yep I agree. swop then side to side. Also if they are directional (it will have an arrow of rotation on the sidewall, and possibly the word DIRECTIONAL, not sure what the USA requirement are on this) they need to rotate in the correct way.
Gerry

Yep I agree. swop then side to side. Also if they are directional (it will have an arrow of rotation on the sidewall, and possibly the word DIRECTIONAL, not sure what the USA requirement are on this) they need to rotate in the correct way.
Gerry
Yes you guys are correct with the tyres that need to be changed from side to side. But I really (IMHO) believe in the rebuild of the frame one would have to have a good look at the style of wheels and tyres to keep with the whole presentation of the vehicle. To me the wheels don't match now, but then,people have told me that I am getting blind. :blush: :laugh:

You guys are correct about the tires. I have the AquaTread tires on my truck.The ones on the C-Cab are rotating the wrong way.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back