Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Perfect body

iron duke

For a driver, how much detail sanding on a fiberglass body is worth the effort? Except for the firewall, there is not a straight panel on the body, so many reflections will show even on the "perfect body". Those who drive em, what advice do you have so the body will look good? Thanks ID

When I built my '34 Coupe, I had the same problem.
it is a driver, so I settled for a 10/10 paint job.

at 10 feet, and 10 MPH, it looks pretty good:lol::pint:

the uneducated general public loves it, those folks in the "business" know its a driver, and expect to see some flaws.

since it is a driver, its gonna get rock chips, bug splatters, etc.
if I was gonna build a strictly show car, I would have spent alot more time sanding, filling, etc.

just my thought process.

p.s. the only "perfedt body" I have seen.......belongs to Helen Hunt;);)

Vance

You got good taste Vance! Helen is right up there with Carrie Underwood, Sara Evans,Terry Clark and on and on and on...............

Ron

Youngster said:
You got good taste Vance! Helen is right up there with Carrie Underwood, Sara Evans,Terry Clark and on and on and on...............

Ron

I didn't wanna sound like a big 'ole perv........but great minds think alike;)

Shania Twain deserves a spot to:lol:

Vance

I've found if you're under 55, you're a perv, if you're over 55, you're a cute old guy. Kind of a win/loss thing.

Ron

Youngster said:
I've found if you're under 55, you're a perv, if you're over 55, you're a cute old guy. Kind of a win/loss thing.

Ron

COOL!!!

only 8 more years as a "perv" then I graduate to a "cute old guy":cool::pint::lol:

Vance

Sanding and nice paint and waxing and straight panels and all that???

I have no idea.

That's why I painted mine with rust. I drive it and don't care about any of that other stuff.

Throw some paint on it, heck you can dabble it with a rag and a bunch of colors and come up with something like this -

307853772_a378714528.jpg

Everyone likes Parker's VW and it doesn't have perfect panels.

Camouflage!

I hate body work........it is my least favorite part of a build. A lot depends on the body you start with, be it fiberglass or steel. Obviously, the better the body the less work you will have to do to get it straight enough to be shiny.

My Speedway body took a whole lot less work to get it straight enough for black than my Son's Total Performance body took to get it straight enough for blue. To be honest, I am very disappointed in the quality of the TP body, it is too thin, and now he is getting shadowing through where the wood was bonded to the body. The car will need resanded and repainted somewhere down the road, and it has only been painted 8 months. Mine has no shadowing whatsoever, and I attribute that to the fact it is a heavier layup. I'm sure TP will say it is because of the way the wood was installed, but that would not be true because I have two Speedway bodies, a '23 and a '27, I wooded both of them, and neither one had that problem.

Color also enters into how much work you will need to do, some colors require a very straight body and some colors will minimize waviness to some degree.

Don

just work it until you think your done do just alittle more

Randall[/quote]

Now that's the aditude to have no mater what part of your car you're working on.

Ron

Francis Blake said:
Don I have been thinking about a speedway body how much trouble is involved in installing the floor?...Francis

Francis, I did a thread on another forum on the complete build up of my T. Here is a link to where the fiberglassing started. You will have to weed through a lot of BS and talk about unrelated subjects, but the pages starting here cover what I had to do on mine. Hope it helps. Go down to post 1077, that is where it begins.

Project $ 3 K Is Underway - Page 72 - Club Hot Rod Forums

Don

Youngster said:

Ron

Boy thats good to know !!......But I think it depends on what your lookin at.......LOL:eek:

I don't plan to take too much time grinding and sanding and doin all that block sanding stuff....
After taking over 6 years to throw this wreck together, I want to drive it...:cool:
So ,my body work/paint plan is to squirt it and drive....
I know that turns the guts of some of you guys but I look at that CCR body and I really don't see a lot of work there, it's not perfect, but it's far from a mess....
Besides, spending many hours perfecting a body ,then climbing in and out and worrying bout it getting dings and watching every little sticky fingered kid that gets close to it, just isn't fun to me.....:lol:
Clean it up, paint it, drive it......."BH"

BH.... I see nothing wrong with your thinking. I've had one car that I didn't want to drive into the Wal-mart parking lot. I'll not have another.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back