Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

question for Ted

i agree with Ted on the build up of the cowl. alum foil will also works on the inside of your post. use your posts assembled to the lower windshield frame so there are no surprises later.

if you look at roosters picture in this thread, you'll see where he added a plate to the inside of the body. this is also a good idea. this area has many different angles to it. i scuff up the are and add some filler to this are at the same time i do the outside. as a poit of reference, the metal T bodies had a piece that tied the bolts for the stanchons to the body brace for the door hinges.

Ron

My body has a 2x3 molded in and wood claw nuts are pulled in so its a real tight fit.

t- nuts work too. i will wait to glass the firewall in till i have my gas pedal positioned so i can put those in place as well as any thing else the needs to be attached to the firewall.

Ron

I find that by doing the firewall first, then the floors, this makes for the strongest setup. You now are able to make your cutouts for the trans (start small and work your way to a close fit) as far as the gas pedal, that is added when you are doing your brake pedal, so as to make them as comfy as possible, use the trans hump to lean your foot againest for comfort while on the gas pedal, just like a stock car. Once the firewall is glued in, it is now one piece with the body.. I install the steering, drill the hole through the firewall, mount my column.. when all the holes are in the firewall that are absolutly needed, I them make a close fit hole pattern onto the pattern I already had made while the body was standing up on the firewall, a very easy way to make that outside pattern, now the Alum, outside firewall, that will also cover up all the column mounting bolts, and any goofs you made in drilling a hole too large or?? will now be out of sight, never to be seen till the Alum. firewall is taken off.. I did this on mine also, as I hate to see the very backside of the engine, and it is hard to get at to clean, so I make a smaller seperate CENTER firewall, and color it Satin Black, to make all that crap go away, so to speak.
Any more questions about firewalls?? Fire away :)

holes too big or in the wrong place??? that dosen't happen to anyone dose it??:)

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back