Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

questions about my front end

mcmental

hi there everyone, i have a few questions about my front axle.
I think the spring is too long so what do you think? whats best way to measure for correct size.
Do you think my shocks will be ok at the angle they are at or should they be wider apart?
im in the UK and dont know many people close by me to have a chat with.

thanks

chris

Shackle angle looks to be at about 45 degree when loaded, so that should be what you want. Probably the stiffness of the springs will determine if it will be okay or not. Shocks should be ok

i was just thinking that the spring looks to be about 1/2" too long as its nearly fouling on the mounts and there is no load on it at the moment

SpeedyTip_Springs.jpg
I thought the axle was suspended by the jack and blocks. I bet someone here has a chart to give the correct spring length.
Maybe this will help.

Last edited:
Don't worry about the shocks. I drove my bucket for 20 years with no shocks. Then I added a pair of Houdailles (adjustable rotary hydraulic) and really like them.
mfkQILBPDJ7KIo1HZVd-6un1L1d0offpkLO7Sjn9quHoYdnEPZ2qXCN4o9cGCaps0CpmeeBDv1GtUwxwLl3Nbn4TAUMPGorRwoNem99aiYfQk79UegtJJ2XF6AAkVAESO4pAiF3BNunu4mdvT9zJHQ6itqUSIYlwi531e_Z09Yu_3NCsjf0YH1joS8lDY1J9TW8s4kHdvaqSBnXwMF030SFdj9vMkq9j-JhGBpAFa0rDZLDgpUTOzju1p5OlcXV7KStW4tVDTlCRVN6vWEfE7a_c_nYZbPqI-Lkj4Z0g8zGHqgllERNKckuiPBVPs6nc2vIm8iQqts7iV-elZEAwEY6RHx1Oxdxd2WKGe7HSS5AFdfkbNMDO79sMCaVBKmLH73KOmieyprdyPNJVWNhrSotd0qkxfzQd2SUZB43VMVFt7C-JKj78FWEmOG6MspawfZFmhDZ-7qt2UUSBYqkSvw_NH8R-7I8AyWjUMI3TO4_zX4ztVjNBMOvaZb2z7QpA9MND0NgKfONVc78F8F6gcs26RTbzwB-SzyFNl98729FxpRoZocOVkbE7c6lK42GPMBS3egeKcKhgsX62ocag6p2D_zRJimeUqQsur5g_ad2xYtpc=w768-h576-no

Using that chart, which is fairly accurate, it appears you need a 26.375" spring. That's going by your pic and my limited knowledge. Hope that helps.

Use the chart that Choppedtop showed. You want the spring pulling on the shackles (the shackles should be horizontal) when the springs aren't loaded, that keeps the car from "wallowing" or rocking on the shackles to a minimum.

Last edited:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back