Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Rack and pinion mounting to drop axle?

Very nice setup there PotvinGuy. Now do the r&p arms leaning forward a bit have any negative effect on the cars handling?

I looked at your pictures and then wondered if I ran coil overs on the front instead of the transverse spring, then I could run the r&p and the arms parallel, but closer to the axle as the Fiat grill would cover the gap pretty well.

Or does the arms leaning forward have no appreciable effect on the steering and upon the handling?

Thanks,
Todd

I haven't noticed any obvious effects. I drive the car on the highways and on city streets, and it handles fine. Someday I'd like to do new spindles and custom steering arms, and straighten the R&P arms just for esthetics, but I don't expect much change, probably just a little slower steering due to the slightly longer steering arms. And that would be fine; it's a bit fast for my taste now. Buckets aren't sports cars.

Make sure you have enough room between the R&P and the axle for proper steering arms. The shorter they are, the faster the steering. And you might consider Ackermann...it doesn't have any real effect on handling, but minimizes tire scrub on turns. Mine is way off, but it isn't an issue.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back