Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Radius Rod Clevis spread

benT

Ron: I am working on building some front axle batwing patterns for our latest bucket build. We're going to cut the brackets and build the radius rods ourselves, but I have a question: Is the spread between the top and bottom clevis holes typically 5-1/2" or? I've been using a combination of CCR's, Youngster's, and Chester's plans to help guide me, but only Youngster's actually have a dimension. I realize that since I am building both the bracket and the rod it can be whatever, but I'd like to build these to the "typical" specs. I'm attaching a pattern drawing of where I'm at so far---Keep in mind that I still need to measure and detail the profile of the truck I beam axle we're using. Any help is appreciated--Thanks!

FrontBatwingTemplate.jpg

Hi Ben
Typically the fronts are 5" apart, this helps with the scrub line. The rears are 5 3/4".

We build a lot of radius rods. Just this past week we built the shortest ones yet. They were only 14" long. These were for the rear of a T. He was replacing some that had bent, and he wanted a stiffner in them.

Thanks Ron...that makes sense... I'll revise to 5" and see what it looks like. Thanks!

Do have an easy way to cut those brackets? We could make them for you at a very reasonable price.

Ron: I thought of that, but we made a conscious decision to fabricate as much of this build as we can to prove that you can still build a nice T on a small budget . I have a decent Miller plasma cutter, so we'll give it a shot cutting out these brackets. I may still need you to cut out some logo stuff out of thinner plate---I imagine that your CNC plasma will do a better job than even my steady hand. If its not working out, I'll be giving you a call!

On another note, I'm working on the designs for the other brackets and will probably ask for some advice and a second look at them by you and the 'gang'.

Thanks!

Here is the revised bracket. After studying the brackets on my '27 (Speedway ones I think), I shortened the bracket some and moved the clevis hole centerline closer to the spring pivot centerline. I'll probably cut a bracket out of 3/8" plywood first and mock it up on the axle before I actually cut the final brackets. Don't wanna be messing this up!

FrontBatwingTemplate-1.jpg

I would watch your distance between the spring hole and the radius rod holes (on the diagram its 1"). Not sure that made much sense, but I ran into an issue with the axle being very close to the spring perch. If you lengthen the distance a bit it will help with that.

I will see if I can find my post with pictures.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back