Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Radius rod hanger position

all-world1

I have welded my front radius rod hangers parallel with the radius rods and not parallel with the frame.
Not sure if this is going to be a problem. Ron never did give me a answer to that one.

Not sure I understand, since the radius rods will be parallel to the frame anyway. o_O

Side View.jpg

No problem there. Take one side rear bolt out and be sure it is not under tension. You can adjust it up and down by the front mount and front to back with rear or both fronts.

The front axle RR hangers are 36" apart while the frame is 26" or in my case 23" wide so the radius rods taper from the front axle to the frame. That's the angle that my frame RR hangers are sitting.

It took a couple posts for the original question to come into focus, but if I read it correctly, you were asking if the angle that the RR make to the frame as they extend forward from it to attach to the axle batwing should be accounted for with the mounting position of the bracket on the frame so that the heim end is straight, or with the bracket straight on the frame and the angle accounted for with the Heim joint.

I've always seen the bracket straight on the frame and the angle in the Heim joint, but it's probably more for aesthetics than any engineering advantage, especially in setups where the angle is only a few degrees.

It took a couple posts for the original question to come into focus, but if I read it correctly, you were asking if the angle that the RR make to the frame as they extend forward from it to attach to the axle batwing should be accounted for with the mounting position of the bracket on the frame so that the heim end is straight, or with the bracket straight on the frame and the angle accounted for with the Heim joint.

I've always seen the bracket straight on the frame and the angle in the Heim joint, but it's probably more for aesthetics than any engineering advantage, especially in setups where the angle is only a few degrees.

You were correct in the assessment of my question. From your answer, I'll leave them as is unless someone else sees anything that can possibly go wrong, which leads me to think about doing the same thing for the rear frame hangers which I have yet to install.

You were correct in the assessment of my question. From your answer, I'll leave them as is unless someone else sees anything that can possibly go wrong, which leads me to think about doing the same thing for the rear frame hangers which I have yet to install.

Depending on how great an angle the RR vectors off the frame rail, could possibly lead to the bracket wanting to overhang the edges of the frame, but that would take a long bracket and a significant angle, so for most common situations, I don't see any issues making the rear match the front.

I don't think there's enough difference to effectively argue RR mounting in favor of one way over another.
Looking at different builders, most seem to pin the rear RR to the frame about 1/3 of the way forward and the front RR about 1/3 of the way to the rear . . . . But then look at California Custom Roadsters, and they pin both front and rear almost at the middle, which seems like it might make for a less rigid RR, but it's working for them and has a unique look..

Last edited:
fk-heimsafetywasher_2.jpg
use a hi angle safety washer instead of a plain flat washer on the heim bolts

CCR's RR placement is great, or at least I like them where they are. The front ones end near the steering box to limit bump steer and the rear ones end close enough to the front RR that you can tie both together with a steel strap.
21822_assembly_tgdszd_4_868e74da-09a3-4cd4-8325-3d8dccc0d64d_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back