Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Rear End Damage

ellis8500

The 27T got rear ended this morning. Serious damage to fiberglass body. Guess it can be fixed. Now have to find a place that does that type of work. Nobody hurt; just real irritated.

Did it get into the fuel tank ? I have worried about getting rear ended ,with the tank behind the seat.Good luck finding someone to fix it.

No frame nor fuel tank damage. Cracked body and destroyed tail light. We have a hot rod shop near by so I'll check with them. Also a Corvette shop who might. They should have experience with fiberglass bodies.

Sorry to hear the bad news Bill, let us know how things work out , especially insurance - wise ..
dave

It's a Spirit body. It can be fixed with backside patches and filler. Paint match will be the hard part.

It seems that the car can still be driven. The proverbial scratch that can buffed out. Don't consign it to body shop purgatory. Fix the structural part, artfully apply primer (you can play with that a lot), match the color at your leisure.
Consider it a war wound. Conversation starter. Like rock chips on the cowl. Nothing is perfect forever.
The back of your car now has a little character. You're still proud to be seen with her.
Still runs like a champ. Some one has taken the fear of hurting your baby away from you and now you can enjoy her even more. Take her to a dirt track and run her around a few laps, just to see what she can really do.

The person that hit you might have done you a favor. Enjoy it.

John

After all is said and done , it's just a car. :p

If was just scratches it wouldn't be too bad. However, body is broken all the way through both sides and some in the back. It's still drivable and will still take it to the company car show on Wednesday. The other guy's insurance will pay for the fix so not worried about the cost. There is a hot rod shop near by that does this kind of work so will visit them on Wednesday. Yes it is just a car. I don't like the hassle of dealing with it.

That has happened to me and I can tell you the insurance company will have no idea how to handle or estimate a unique car. They will end up writing a check for whatever you tell them it will cost. Shop around, get generous estimates, and don't back down. My car has a real T turtledeck nearly 100 years old and nobody wanted to touch it. I wrote my own estimate, took it to the hot rod shop, and said "does this look about right?" They wrote the check for what I asked for.

Having worked on damaged boats & vette's over the years ,I can ,without hesitation , tell you that is damage that you cannot see. When "glas is stressed badly enough to fracture like that ,you'll be seeing spider webbing every where in a very short period of time , if it were me , I'd DEMAND a new body !!!
dave

Well that sucks. I would try to get another body like 2old2fast said. Very possible for a bunch of unseen damage.

Just sitting at a traffic light and BOOM. Guy was watching some motorcycles on the cross street instead of what was in front of him. Not a real hard hit but it doesn't take much to do some serious damage.

Update on the 27T. Insurance adjuster estimated a bit over $1,700. The street rod shop estimated a bit over $7,000. Looks like we have some negotiating to do. Adjuster saw 20 hours of repair, the shop 80 hours. Adjuster way low on paint. Shop too high on paint; they included full body clear coat which it never did have. Might have to take RoadMonster's advice on this.

Not asking to divulge any personal information, but do you use your local insurance for coverage? I went with Grundy's, the reason I am asking and hoping they would be more accommodating.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back