Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Rear End Damage

This was another guy's fault so his insurance is paying. I am dealing with their adjuster and a shop that builds, restores and repairs custom cars and street rods.

When I have had a contested claim in the past , I dumped the problem in my ins. co. lap , then I dealt w/them & let them deal w/ the other co.
dave

If you have full coverage you shouldn't even be involved other than driving it down to the body shop. Your insurance company has to deal with getting the money out of their company not you.

I honestly don't know what happened with the above post, but what happened with simply replacing and painting a whole new body?
The $7000.00 to paint the car is reflective of todays rip off attitude towards insurance companies, both on the companies' side and the "hot rod" repair shops. Did it even cost $2000.00 to paint the car originally? Honestly.
Sounds like someone is trying to make bank on this one.

John

P.S. Who is this world famous "hot rod" shop that is charging exorbitant prices. Name names.

Last edited:
Car is in the shop. Body is off and repairs started. Insurance company [other guy's] agreed that entire body need to be repainted. It ends up that after getting a better look at the extent of damage with body off car the repair estimate did increase. There was hidden damage that could not be seen with body on the car. New estimate not that far off from the $7K estimate I got from Old Dog Hot Rods in St. Louis. Now a days, when a big city shop does all the body prep, base and clear coat with cut and buff we are talking in the $10K range. That was range of quotes I got a few years ago. Blew me away then and still does.

I'm gonna say this again , when a fiberglass structure is stressed as bad as yours was , there is damage that no one can see w/the human eye , I'm not trying to be a dick about this , but in the future you Will have stress cracks show , tell them you want /demand a new body !!!
dave

Thanks for asking, Dave. Car is in the shop. Checked on it yesterday. It is just about ready for paint. They will paint the entire body. The filling and blocking looks and feels perfect. They added a lot of glass to the back sides of the cracks and added some stiffeners to eliminate some body flex that I noticed when driving. They lined the entire trunk area with a Linex type material. They filled all the imperfections that where on the body, trunk lid and doors that I did not address on the first; low budget paint job. Before they paint I'll come in and select the level of sparkle I want; they are spraying test panels. They are going to clear coat which it did not have before. I do believe that it will look far better than it did before the accident. As for durability we'll just have to wait and see. I'm not in a hurry; just want it done right.

Car is in the shop. Body is off and repairs started. Insurance company [other guy's] agreed that entire body need to be repainted. It ends up that after getting a better look at the extent of damage with body off car the repair estimate did increase. There was hidden damage that could not be seen with body on the car. New estimate not that far off from the $7K estimate I got from Old Dog Hot Rods in St. Louis. Now a days, when a big city shop does all the body prep, base and clear coat with cut and buff we are talking in the $10K range. That was range of quotes I got a few years ago. Blew me away then and still does.

It seems expensive until you do it yourself. There is a butt load of time in fiberglass bodies even if they are small. Paint supplies are expensive as well. A friend of mine repainted my body for $1500 plus material and he worked on it a lot to make it straight as an arrow. There was no major repairs either.

Bill, it appears that you had a lot of extra work done to your T body. Time consuming work. Work that was not performed when the car was originally prepped & painted. I think the term is called "betterment".

John

Checked on 27T yesterday...all I can say is WOW!!! Now it's gonna look so good I'll be afraid to drive it....might get a chip in the show car finish they put on it. It's almost all back together and it looks super. Pics to follow after it gets home.

Finally got my 27T back from the shop. A full month of hassle with the insurance adjuster. When I complained to the head office they took care of it in 3 days. Put a few miles on it ... but, gettin sort of cold now for roadster trips.

When I got ready to have my 'T' painted , there was a guy here that did body work on semi trucks [ fiberglass cabs] worked on them everday . So I went & seen him to do my painting on the 'T'. We agreed on a price & he did it. That was in 2006 , still looks good today. Since then he has inherited a farm & farms it. Does not do body work anymore..

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back