Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

rear end

Francis Blake

Yesterday I was wondering what ratio my s10 rear end was so I jacked it up marked the wheels and drive shaft and turned the drive shaft, two turns of the shaft turns the wheels about one and 1/8 turn I did have the other wheel locked down so it wouldn't turn. I have never heard of a ratio that quick. Does anyone know what this ratio is?

Yesterday I was wondering what ratio my s10 rear end was so I jacked it up marked the wheels and drive shaft and turned the drive shaft, two turns of the shaft turns the wheels about one and 1/8 turn I did have the other wheel locked down so it wouldn't turn. I have never heard of a ratio that quick. Does anyone know what this ratio is?

Yeep
Wrong. You cant lock one wheel. Somewhere on the diff should be a tag with a couple of numbers on it like 13 39 which should be the ratio if you divide the large number by the small number. Otherwise lift both wheel and make sure they are turning together when you turn the pinion shaft. Mark your wheel or tyre on the inside with something easy to see so you will know when its done a full rotation.
Gerry

If you want to check the rear end ratio by counting drive shaft revolutions, here is a good procedure:
Jack up one of the rear wheels. Keep the other one down or block it to keep it from turning.
Mark the wheel that is jacked up so that you can see when it makes a complete revolution.
Turn the drive shaft/pinion yoke and count the turns to make the wheel rotate TWO complete revolutions.
Rear end ratio is drive shaft revolutions for one wheel revolution. So a 4.11 rear end means that the drive
shaft rotates 4.11 times for each wheel rotation. Now that you have counted the drive shaft rotation of your
rear end, you have the ratio of you unit. Blocking one wheel eliminates the differential action. That is why
you need to rotate the wheel TWO times. For a posi rear end jack up both wheels and rotate the wheels ONE time.

jon

that is exactly what I did, I jacked one wheel up with one on the ground (locking it in place) turned the shaft 4 turns and it turned the wheel 2 and slightly less than 1/4 turn. That is a really quick ratio.

Well, that's not exactly the way to do it. But by your numbers you have about a 3.25 ratio.

jon

When you keep one wheel from turning, the one that does turn runs at 2x the diff ratio rpm, So the way you did it, divide 4 by 2.25 and you get 1.78. Multiply that by 2 and you get 3.56. Check to see if this is a standard ration for an S10 rear-end. The one you have is the one closest to your calculated value. 3.08, 3.42, or the 3.73 are common S10 ratios. 3.42 / 2 =1.71. 4 / 1.71 = 2.34 or a bit more than 2-1/4 turns. a 3.73 would give you 2.15 turns; a bit less than 2-1/4.

Thanks Bill that is what I was looking for now I can make sense of this.It has to be a 3.73 .I need to pay closer attention to instructions sometimes

Ooooppps
Sorry about that, of course you can do it with one wheel up. Must have had a brain freeze or something.
Gerry

Happens to all of us ( especially me) Thanks for the help
If you want the ratio on an S10 rear it is stamped near the center section on top of the passenger side axle tube slightly forward on the tube.wire brush the tube clean and you should find the number (8-44 only as an example)of teeth on both gears do your division from them.If it's still in the truck you will find the gear codes on the glove box door any GM dealer can give you the codes I know that a G code used to mean a posi rear.Most of the S10 rears we have found here in N.E. Ct. have been 3.73s.I have a 4x4 S10 rear if anyone needs one

the best way to do this and get a good reading is to turn the driveshft or pinion yoke by hand. If you just turn a tire by hand it will not work correctly due to rearend slippage. It also helps to put a drag on the tires as you spin the pinion. Just put a chalk mark on the pinion and one on the tire. Count how many times the pinion turns for one revolution of the tire.

Thanks Leon this rear end is already in my 27 roadster. I will need to clean the tube a bit more so I can see the number. Blownt that is what I did and that's what led to my confusion.If you use that method there is a formula to find the ratio, in an earlier post.

the best way to do this and get a good reading is to turn the driveshft or pinion yoke by hand. If you just turn a tire by hand it will not work correctly due to rearend slippage. It also helps to put a drag on the tires as you spin the pinion. Just put a chalk mark on the pinion and one on the tire. Count how many times the pinion turns for one revolution of the tire.
Thats what I usually do....but since I usually gotta check the drive-train out too on cars...all you need for being sure is a gallon of gear oil, and a cover gasket.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back