Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Rear View Mirror

spike

With my 23T safely buttoned up for the Winter here in the Northeast, I'm making plans for improvements for 2010. One thing I failed to figure out in 2009 was how to keep my flamed rear view mirror attached to the windshield. I tried two different batches of permatex rear view mirror glue, following the directions step by step. The first try resulted in the mirror falling off the windshield while the car sat in the driveway, leaving a nice chip in the dash. The second try lasted 2 months before it let go at 60 MPH & almost removed my knee cap. Any suggestions?

I got some glue at a auto glass shop that really strong, it was on the car for 4 years and still on when I sold it. I would check with a glass shop that cut mirror glass.

With my 23T safely buttoned up for the Winter here in the Northeast, I'm making plans for improvements for 2010. One thing I failed to figure out in 2009 was how to keep my flamed rear view mirror attached to the windshield. I tried two different batches of permatex rear view mirror glue, following the directions step by step. The first try resulted in the mirror falling off the windshield while the car sat in the driveway, leaving a nice chip in the dash. The second try lasted 2 months before it let go at 60 MPH & almost removed my knee cap. Any suggestions?
Hi, If you glue anything to the inside of the glass,the good old ultra voilet sun rays will be doing it's upmost to break down the adhesive used.the asnwer is to use black out paint on the glass first.I would suggest marking where the mirror is to position and mark on the outside of the glass with felt tip pen or masking tape and then take the car into an Auto Glass shop and get them to glue the mirror in place. Why,you ask?? Well they will have the correct cleaners,blackout paint and adhesive to do the job,after all just about all modern vehicles now have glued on interior mirrors.

I got some glue at a auto glass shop that really strong, it was on the car for 4 years and still on when I sold it. I would check with a glass shop that cut mirror glass.

Thanks Francis, This sounds like a good suggestion.

Spike

Thanks Francis, This sounds like a good suggestion.

Spike

I have been in a car that had a RV mirror that was made for a ski boat and it was held on with thumbscrews. This thing was very well made and I am going to get one soon.

I had the same problem and my mirror is real light. I finally ended up getting a two part epoxy from Home Depot and so far its held for 6 months. Don't remember the brand but its a clear dual cylinder like a syringe and it mixes in the injector tube. There is a lot of waste, cause you only need a drop, so if you have anything else that might need gluing have it ready.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back