Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

rim and tire suggestions

Youngn

I am looking at some new rims and tires and like the wide back tires and skinnies up front but I am wondering if ride quality and handling suffer with going this route. Or should I go with something a little less drastic, any suggestions are great appreciated thanks.

I'm going with 165/80r15 on 15x5's on front and 235/70r15 on 15x8's on the rear.

As mentioned, a few steps in size up or down isn't going to make a huge difference. The biggest difference will be between bias ply and radial.

I had a '28 Model A Tudor Sedan fenderless hot rod with skinnies up front and a set of those really wide MT Sportsman pro's on back. It was a handful on uneven pavement. I switched to 245/70 15 on rear and it was a different car.

Well I was looking at the wide mickey Thompson sportman s/r for the rear, does anyone have these and if so how do u like them?? thanks

Yes I have them and are fine but they're bias ply....I'm tying to burn them up so I can get some radials.

I am gonna run a 315 radial on a 12" wheel. Tires are cheaper and they are radials. And you can get in and out of your garage easier !

I have 33 tall 21.5 wide Mickey Ts on the rear of my bucket for when Im driving on the street and I dont like them at all. Previously I had Hoosier Quicktimes that were 31.5 tall and 18.5 wide and my experience is that they are a far superior tyre. The Hoosier seems to be a softer compound so doesnt last as long, but its wet weather grip is way better.

As ORF said, we arent driving Caddys here, but its important to have the best rubber that you can. Mates who have bought the radials reckon they are way nicer on the road than the bias type Hoosiers and Mickey Thompsons.

Yep same here Todd .
Clubmates have switched to the newer M/T radials and love them. , ride nice and just seems to do everything right

thanks I ended up goin with an 18" wide mickey Thompson s/r radial and the skinny 5" up front, and really like them. They drive nice and are not loud on the highway.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back