Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Round gas tank :- Fuel level sender ?

PeteT

I like the look of the round aluminum gas tanks...

Something like this but with the filler in the center.
91076253_R.jpg

Any ideas how you would fit a sender for a fuel gauge?

Thanks Pete

I've done two of them. One in my current car, and one in my dad's current car. I cut a piece of 1/4" thick aluminum a little larger than the diameter of the sender, and drill a hole in the tank that size, and set it in and weld it in. The 1/4" is thick enough to set right into the hole. It is flush on the high part of the crown, and welds in nicely. I can get a picture later if you want.

Moon makes ones that have a filler neck and a hole for the sending unit.

Jeff

We had this same issue and didn't want to put in on top, and we had bought a tank with the filler on top in the middle of the tank. What we did, and there may be no one out there that will want to live with this, was to make a small tank that fit between the frame rails under the tank. This tank has a sending unit in it. BUT it only holds 4 gallons, which means when you run thru the 10 gal tank which all goes into the smaller tank the sending unit starts to works which gives this car 4 gals to find a station. What we figured was if you drove 10 gals worth you would be looking for a stopping point within the next 30 to 40 miles anyway. I can get a picture if you want me to or if this post makes no sense.

Randall

Tbucit, that is so damn cool. I understand it completely and would like to see pics of how you did it.

on my '27 i plan on using a small, 1 gallon reserve tank. when the motor tells me to go to reserve i'll start looking for an exit ramp too.

Ron

Thanks for the replies, looks like I'm not the only one thinking about running out of gas:lol:

Pictures would be nice.

Pete

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back