Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Shock Question

jimbo01

I've got my shock mounts and shocks mounted. The question I have is, from the pictures there is no travel in the shocks. These pictures are with no weight on the front axle or spring. After looking at my configuration it looks like my only option to get more travel out of these shocks would be to connect the shock to the spring as I'm not sure that I would have enough clearance to connect it to the spring pivot. Any advice or comments would be welcome.
100_5019.jpg

100_5020.jpg

100_5017.jpg

Can you reverse the lower bracket so the shock mount point is down instead of up?

I think you will find that when you put weight on the axle the shackle mount will rotate and give you the clearance you need. As it is now the shackle is straight across, when you load the spring the shackle will rotate to a 45 degree angle.

I've tried what 409T suggested and the shock is to short to get to the shackle hole. Even if the shock was long enough, the shock would hit the spring and pivot bolt heads. When I put weight on the front axle the shackle does rotate as Ron said it would but then there is no shock travel left.

When I put weight on the front axle the shackle does rotate as Ron said it would but then there is no shock travel left.
You can get longer shocks.

Jimbo , I dont see the stud through the lock nut there in the pic's to.

How about making a triangular bracket that forms to the shock tower with a third hole toward center of car, parallel with the existing upper shock mt. Would that give you angle and clearance ?

• See if the attached photos will help solve your problem this is what i did. I had the same shock mounts as you but i shaved off the shock mounting hole of it. I them built some new shock mounts, i then moved the head lights back even with the radiator. The new brackets sit out front allowing me to put my shocks at any angle i want. See photos

Attachments

• Engine Installed 020.jpg
    Engine Installed 020.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 120
  • Engine Installed 021.jpg
    Engine Installed 021.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 115
johnstacy has a pretty good solution. Not an easy one, but certainly bullet-proof. You could make the shock towers any height you want. On the other side of the coin, there are people here who like friction shocks. I'm not one of them but it might be an alternative solution.

Consider coil-overs and adjust the height, wouldn't stiffen the ride if you can determine the proper spring weight for the shock?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back