Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Should I include a roll cage?

hehe who said it was going to be cheap?? nothing now days is cheap, except the wages that they want to pay.. The advantage of the plywood os that it is easy to work with and easy to mount other things to it, like seats, etc. plus it insolates pretty good also... once completed and covered, another easy to do item, you will be the only one that knows what is under your feet.. just like a real boat.. hehe Good luck with your fun project...

rooster57 said:
I think when you cut the bottom out of the SS minnow you will need some square tubing as an internal frame to hold the body on because the glass body will loose all its strength and only be a fasod at best.Think of it as a parade float build the frame and attach the fiberglass to the frame . Good luck little buddy.

I agree Professor ;)

I'm off to buy some square tubing today, welding wire, and a trailer jack. I need a trailer jack to level out the boat, since my boat trailer didn't come with one. I'm figuring a level boat will be easier to draw cutting lines on. In order to get the boat body on my frame, some tubing will be necessary. And welding wire, well that one explains itself, doesn't it?

I'll hold off on buying sheeting until I know how much I'm going to need and plus after this week, I'm broke for another month.:sad:

Ford tractor blue looks a little like lake water, doesn't it?

Why can't I build this thing out of coconuts? The Professor always used them.

:zingy:Well you have pleanty of monkeys helping you (us) i think we should take a Mary Ann and a Ginger break before we get started. You know you will have to paint the SS minnow on the bow at least through the build. And if the pickup is still in someone elses name you may want to leave it like that untill you have made at least 2 three hour tours. Because if to comes apart up on K96 you may just want to call :phone:some one to come get you and let the state hwy dpt take it from there.:D
But I have faith in ya that is gona be quite the buggy when you get done.

I am moved to build one too, now that the idea is there.
My one is to be outboard powered. I have turned the diff 180 deg and fitted sprockets (Rollmaster of course) to the pinion shaft and the outboard propellor shaft. This gives me one forward, one reverse and a neutral. Boat controls as is.
Cooling was a worry but have that sussed out too. Fitted a hose barb to the drain hole in the transom and connected a 1/2" pvc hose to a flushing "earmuff" on the outboard. If i fill the boat with water from my garden hose to mid shin depth I figure I will have approximately 1/2 hour of running, and with a hydrant valve and key I can fill up anywhere in no time. Just a bit loud, is all..............................
Now, to get the steering sorted.............................

Its amaxing what can be done when a guy puts his mind to it . I might also suggest if you add ice to the water in the boat you wont need an ice chest for the beer. Sould be able to get 4-5 cases in there just floating. The down side is you will only have 30 min to drink all the beer before the ice chest is empty.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back