Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Spdwy808's T

Spdwy808

Hey guys... my t-bucket project is finally going somewhere. I was inspired after reading the many pages of TFeverFred's Miss Behavin' project. I started reading and asking questions on here. I stockpiled some parts and my frame. I ordered a body from Total. They said 2 weeks. 8 weeks later, they couldn't give me an update. So after I canceled that order, I took RPM's advice and contacted his buddy Rick @ Herman's Fast Glass. I took a nice long roadtrip from Indianapolis to Knoxville, TN and picked up my new body...with interior insert and bucket seat insert already covered!
Right now I'm sanding it and grinding where the bed was glassed onto the body. As far as the chassis goes, I've tack-welded my radius rod tabs and spring perch onto the frame. I've put my leaf spring from tractor supply ($25) onto the front. I purchased an axle from Total for my 49-54 Chevy spindles. I'm having trouble getting one kingpin out of a spindle, but I'll get there. May take an arbor press.
So I've purchased a 351 Windsor for my project. I've always been a Ford guy, and most other people tend to use an SBC. I'M LOOKING FOR A HOLLEY OR FORD 4BBL CARBURETOR THAT DOESN'T NEED REBUILT...IF ANYONE HAS ONE FOR SALE OR WHATEVER!!! I also bought a rebuilt C4 tranny off a guy on craigslist.
I think I've lined up a Chevy 10 bolt rearend for this project. I also bought a set of coilovers and watts linkage at the Street Rod Nationals in Louisville. I plan on running disc brakes all the way around!
I got a Vega steering box on ebay, but I don't think I'm gonna do the cross-steer now. When in Tennessee, I saw a t-bucket with a Vega box basically flipped upside down and used for draglink steering. Rick told me that RPM makes a bracket specifically for this, so I need to contact him soon....yes Ron have me one ready!!!
I'm sure I've got lots to do and lots more to buy. I will be including updates at least weekly, as well as pics. I want to thank Tfeverfred for documenting his build on here. That's what got me going on this. Also RPM for chatting with me via PM and phone and letting me know about Herman's Fast Glass. I hope all of you can give me some input or help me find parts if I need them. I've never built anything before, but I'm giving this a shot. Wish me luck!!!

Spdwy808 said:
Hey guys... my t-bucket project is finally going somewhere. I was inspired after reading the many pages of TFeverFred's Miss Behavin' project. I started reading and asking questions on here. I stockpiled some parts and my frame. I ordered a body from Total. They said 2 weeks. 8 weeks later, they couldn't give me an update. So after I canceled that order, I took RPM's advice and contacted his buddy Rick @ Herman's Fast Glass. I took a nice long roadtrip from Indianapolis to Knoxville, TN and picked up my new body...with interior insert and bucket seat insert already covered!
Right now I'm sanding it and grinding where the bed was glassed onto the body. As far as the chassis goes, I've tack-welded my radius rod tabs and spring perch onto the frame. I've put my leaf spring from tractor supply ($25) onto the front. I purchased an axle from Total for my 49-54 Chevy spindles. I'm having trouble getting one kingpin out of a spindle, but I'll get there. May take an arbor press.
So I've purchased a 351 Windsor for my project. I've always been a Ford guy, and most other people tend to use an SBC. I'M LOOKING FOR A HOLLEY OR FORD 4BBL CARBURETOR THAT DOESN'T NEED REBUILT...IF ANYONE HAS ONE FOR SALE OR WHATEVER!!! I also bought a rebuilt C4 tranny off a guy on craigslist.
I think I've lined up a Chevy 10 bolt rearend for this project. I also bought a set of coilovers and watts linkage at the Street Rod Nationals in Louisville. I plan on running disc brakes all the way around!
I got a Vega steering box on ebay, but I don't think I'm gonna do the cross-steer now. When in Tennessee, I saw a t-bucket with a Vega box basically flipped upside down and used for draglink steering. Rick told me that RPM makes a bracket specifically for this, so I need to contact him soon....yes Ron have me one ready!!!
I'm sure I've got lots to do and lots more to buy. I will be including updates at least weekly, as well as pics. I want to thank Tfeverfred for documenting his build on here. That's what got me going on this. Also RPM for chatting with me via PM and phone and letting me know about Herman's Fast Glass. I hope all of you can give me some input or help me find parts if I need them. I've never built anything before, but I'm giving this a shot. Wish me luck!!!

Sounds like you are having a good time. I got the Vega steering box mounts made up. Just give me a call and I'll send ya one.

That you have not built anything does not mean that you can not. Even the best most experienced builders started out where you are now.

A couple things that I have found are, the fun stops when I get in a hurry, dont want to ignore time altogether but I have found that I get more done and make fewer mistakes when I pay more attention to what I am doing than to how long it is taking me. Keep the big picture in mind, everything is at least indirectly related to everything else, but dont get overwhelmed by it. You will find that the individual steps are fairly simple, just be carefull not to paint yourself into a corner.

Good Luck. Post pictures!

And don't believe everything your friends tell you. Ask your questions here. When I built mine I had the chassis complete. A friend stopped by, looked at the project and told me my pinion angle was off. He was a mechanic who had a front end and transmission shop so I took him at his word. I cut off my panhard bar bracket, rotated the axle a few degrees as I was told and welded everything back up. I finished assembling the car for a test fit but couldn't drive it yet. I then took everything apart for paint. When I put it all back together and got the car on the road the ride was terrible. The pinion angle was okay in that I didn't have any problems with it but becasue I had rotated the axle housing the top frame rail would hit the housing when I went over bumps. It was a pain in the arse to repair. I had to cut everything off and start over with the body in place this time. And it didn't do my new paint any good either. My $.02. Steve

That Vega box can be reversed too just like a 'vair box.

revvegasm.jpg

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back