Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Spindle identification

fordsbyjay

I want to replace my Wilwood solid rotor front brakes with something that works a lot better. How do I tell what spindle my tube axle has? It is a TP car with a round tube axle.

Out of the kazillion pictures I have Ron non are of the spindle/brakes. I will take one tomorrow and post it up.

This is like what I am after. These little puck brakes squeal and do not work for crap half the time. It seems like they get glazed over then barely work then sometimes they work fine. Kind of scary at times though.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Wilwood-1937-1948-Ford-Heavy-Duty-Disc-Brakes,41970.html
if your goning to be selling your old stuff i may be interested let me know please
thanks john

Over the years TP used various spindles on their axles. Some were Econoline, some were 49-54 Chevy and some were their own. I am not sure what the TP brand spindles were designed like, they could either be the Chevy or Econoline knock offs.

In addition to the pictures Ron asked for, take some measurements of the spacing between the 4 mounting bolt holes. Measure the centerline to centerline on the two going up and down, and the same on the ones going horizontally. That will help narrow it down.

Don

Sorry I have not posted pictures. We are cruising the coast in Biloxi and have been putting on the miles since first thing this morning. Speedway had a trailer at the swap meet and he told me TP used a Econoline king pin with a Ford spindle that used 49-54 chev bolt pattern for the caliper bolt pattern. They felt that it was not worth keeping when they bought TP and scrapped the whole deal. Problem is only half of a Ford & Chev kit is needed. I was looking at it and I don't see why I can't just change rotors and I might have to make my own caliper bracket.

High quality iphone pictures.

42768962.jpg

5ABA63CC.jpg

I think they are the Total Performance spindles. Total had their own design of spindles. They used the Chevy four ear brake mounting, Ford bearings (37-48) type, then used the Econoline king pin and axle boss. I would contact Jim at Wintec, he has a lot of the Total parts.

I think Ron is right, but here is how you can tell for sure. Measure the kingpin diameter. Chevy has .867 and TP has a smaller pin at .742. The boss length of the axle is also different, the Chevy is 2.125 and the TP is thicker at 2.250. Here is a picture of the original Chevy spindles.

danstudorcominghome.jpg

But you may be throwing out the baby with the bathwater here in wanting to get rid of the existing brakes. What is wrong with them ? A lot of guys on here run Wilwoods and love them ( including my Son, and his only complaint is squealing, but that is a different issue). You may be able to just upgrade the ones you have without all the hassle of replacing spindles and all that.

BTW, I would address the rust starting near the ends of your axles before it becomes more than cosmetic. Just sayin'. :)

Don

Damn, that is the wrong picture, here is the one I tried to post !

chevyspindle.jpg

Now I can't seem to remove the first picture ! :mad:

Don the brakes are terrible and have gotten worse the more I drive it. The pads seem to get glazed over to the point where they hardly work all of a sudden. Then after awhile they start working ok again. Plus the squeal is annoying as heck. The fellow at Speedway said they make some different pad compounds but I don't feel like changing pads every 3000 miles.

Care to be a little more specific than "brakes don't work worth a crap" ????

dave

I can stand on the pedal as hard as I can and it will just slow the car. Not good in tight traffic when you need to stop fast. Then two or three stops later they will work ok again.

What Wilwoods do you have ? They make various brake setups, some for very light cars some for heavier cars. What master cylinder do you have ? What rear end ? Are you running residual valves and a proportioning valve ?

Don

Just asking .... when's the last time you bled the brakes ? Almost sounds like more of a master cyl. problem.... on again -off again ...
dave

Crap/sludge in the system ... some M/C's have built in residual's- faulty... bad seals in part of the M/C. Sticking pistons in the caliper's , Rear brakes not functioning properly.. I'm guessing those wilwood calipers went on many T's w/out issue.. Reason I started w/ the M/C is that's the "begining" of the system...
dave

Thanks Dave. My friend had the same system on his Pinto and he didn't care for them either. I'm going to pull the pads out and scuff them and see if it makes a difference.

Well we made it back from Cruising the Coast with only minor issues so that was great. I did find this diagram on speedways site but unfortunately it is not the same as mine. My width is 3 1/8" but my height is 3.850".

TPSpindles.jpg

http://static.speedwaymotors.com/images/charts/TPSpindles.jpg

I put the car up on jack stands to follow up on some of the suggestions posted above (thanks) and here is what I have. A M/Cyl of unknown origin. There is no proportioning valve or residual pressure valves. The lines come straight out of the m/cyl and go to the front/rear where they are T'd. I have had this car for 5 years and the brakes worked ok at one time so while the setup my not be ideal it used to work ok except for the squealing. Next I followed Dave's suggestion to check the m/cyl. On these cars it is a real bugger to get to that's for sure. Not to mention the builder ran the fuel line right over the m/cyl cap it needs to be on jack stands to work on. Anyway, the brake fluid looks like crap now, all rusty swamp looking. Last time I checked it was about a year ago and it was crystal clear.

The m/cyl bolt spacing is 3 1/4" so I will probably call Wilwood tomorrow about some different pads and a new m/cyl suggestion. I would imagine for how rusty my fluid is the inside of the m/cyl must not be very good either. I would actually like to go with a plastic reservoir with screw on caps so that it would be a lot easier to check thru the floor.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back