Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Spreading the word.

There is a small hobby shop at the mall they carry a few r/c cars and some plastic kits
the only real hobby shop in the area is over in Sonora , I actually had a job offer and a interview out at YPG ,but couldnt agree on the pay ,,lol ,,one thing is for sure I spent three days out there on YPG and let me tell ya if you stop and get out of your vehicle any where between Yuma and Quartsite somebody is gonna know it ,,lol,they have the ultimate toy's, I really the country around Yuma .

RocknT said:
There is a small hobby shop at the mall they carry a few r/c cars and some plastic kits
the only real hobby shop in the area is over in Sonora , I actually had a job offer and a interview out at YPG ,but couldnt agree on the pay ,,lol ,,one thing is for sure I spent three days out there on YPG and let me tell ya if you stop and get out of your vehicle any where between Yuma and Quartsite somebody is gonna know it ,,lol,they have the ultimate toy's, I really the country around Yuma .

Ohhhhhhh man I love that desert ! and all the action goin on at the YPG !! I got some tank pics of my grandson standing around the tanks on display. Then we drove up by the gate entrance and just in time to see an M-1 come in from the desert, grandson thought that was soo cool. And where Mom lives on the fringe of the bombing range, there is a daily air show, we had a couple Harriers turning right over the house last Thursday !! And that "Eye in the Sky" is spooky.....
I figgered with all the old folks there in Yuma ,there should be a dozen hobby shops around that town ! After all, they can't ALL golf.....or can they?..... :sad: "BH"

Readin' about the corvette guy got me goin'. I have had 3 of those cars and wow, what a thrill to cruise around in. 20 years after my last vette I got interested in building my T. I didn't have the faintest idea how to accompish the task but every time I saw a model A hotrod I would follow the thing around until the guy stopped and I could grill him for info. All rodders want to talk about their rods! The internet supplied the rest of the details and the job was really all that difficult.

Well, let me get to the point - I have noticed that while I'm driving my LOUD cool throbbing machine down the road I may notice 3 or 4 road maintenance guys standing off to the side leaning on their shovels (you know how that goes). Well, usually a curious thing happens. I know they hear me coming. I also feel confident that an outdoor kinda man is going have his heart rate creep up when he hears a high compression, well cammed mill's throaty growl.

Nothin'! I mean nothin'! No response. They keep on with their conversation as if there ain't a car within a hundred miles. Not even a glance in my direction. Very puzzling. I figure that if my blonde daughter was driving the car there would be gaping mouths and shovels would be falling like dominoes. What is the deal?

Sadly, my theory is that the dudes are pretending that the car is not important. They are burning with jealousy and don't want anyone to know it. Especially that old bald guy that is sitting behind the wheel thundering along in the cool far-out rod (that THEY don't own).

It took me a while to come to this conclusion because I am just the opposite. I stare openly and wantingly when I see a cool powerful custom car going by. I guess it takes all kinds.

Has any one ever experienced this phenomena?

um, hey Spooky, since you mentioned it... how about some pics? The blonde, not the car... no wait, scratch that... the blonde and the car! LOL

Back to seriousness. Motorheads look. I've seen it happen lots of times. The shovel bunnies you were talking about are probably not into cars. Drive by a car parts place (AutoZone, NAPA, O'Reilly's, etc) and you'll have the reaction you're talking about. With so many Harley Davidsons on the road these days, a rumbling engine really don't soound all that different to normal folk.

What I love the most is the young kids pointing and smiling and I always make it a point to NOT blow by them going a hundred miles per hour. Remember when you were a kid checking out the hot rods on the road?

Let those kids take a good long gander, smile and wave, and maybe just maybe the guy behind the wheel of that minivan might get an idea forming in his head or maybe those kids in the backseat just had that little seed planted and sometime in the future they'll be the ones behind the wheel of a rod, driving down the road waving at some little kids.

That was me forty years ago checking out all the hotrods and muscle cars.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back