Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Springover front

Hackerbilt

Hey guys! Anyone running a springover front on their bucket?
I have a tube axle and I'm considering modifying the hairpin brackets to move the axle back 3" and gain about 1 1/2" in road clearance as well.
It was originally built with a 4" drop perch and a 4" dropped, spring behind axle! Fitz had to add a 2" aluminum block just to make it driveable and that really shows up on top of the spring!
Have it all figured out on what to do and its pretty simple...but I'm not 100% sure I'm gonna like the look as much as I like the spring behind now.
My wheelbase is pretty long and the oil pan pretty low so there will be benefits to the relocation...not to mention some additional side room to get some shocks out where they belong!
Love to see some pics of what others have built along those lines.

Hey guys! Anyone running a springover front on their bucket?
I have a tube axle and I'm considering modifying the hairpin brackets to move the axle back 3" and gain about 1 1/2" in road clearance as well.
It was originally built with a 4" drop perch and a 4" dropped, spring behind axle! Fitz had to add a 2" aluminum block just to make it driveable and that really shows up on top of the spring!
Have it all figured out on what to do and its pretty simple...but I'm not 100% sure I'm gonna like the look as much as I like the spring behind now.
My wheelbase is pretty long and the oil pan pretty low so there will be benefits to the relocation...not to mention some additional side room to get some shocks out where they belong!
Love to see some pics of what others have built along those lines.
Here is how mine is set up. Don't judge it just yet, I just got it and am in the tear down and redo mode...

A spring over would raise the front end some and I think would look good at the same time. My car was very low when I bought it and I put two pieces of aluminum under the spring that gave me two and a quarter inches lift but it shows up not to attractive, so I have been thinking along the same lines.

Make a cover for the spring perch and hide the spacers. S/S looks good for that.

Not my car, but this looks nice:
2611204844_616d8d08a8_z.jpg

You wouldn't have to do the split axle, of course, but would need a Panhard or some centering linkage.

Haha...yeah Butch I know Ford did it for a few years but they also used an I beam axle with that famous smile in it! I actually have several original axles and have thought about using one but the required changes to allow that seem a bit too extensive to make it worth the effort. I'll have to get different brakes and a new spring etc.

Francis, thats the exact problem I'm having. You can see the ugly blocks even in my little avatar picture!

I'm not really interested in hiding the spacer blocks either T-test, as the perch is basicly in my way at this ride height (and also due to spring behind) and prevents me from running a rear mounted tie rod to get a better Ackerman effect. It's possible, with the increased ride height, that I may even be able to run the tie rod under the frame and thru the radius arms...although I'm not really desperate to get to that point. To the rear and above the perch I think will be fine.

Potvin...nice work there but I want to stay with the cross spring. Despite me wishing to change stuff for clearance it all DOES work great as it sits and I like the older look it has.

Fletcherson, that looks pretty good and is the kind of pic I was hoping for. Thanks!
Would it be possible to post one from farther back so the tires and more of your car is visible?
Kinda like my avatar?

Thanks guys!!!

I think you would need an I-beam axle for a spring-over with hairpins. A tube axle would be really stressed taking bumps. I run a rear tie rod through the hairpins with no problems at all and excellent Ackerman. This car steers and tracks really well with traditional steering on a springover front end. I could find some detail photos if you want to see.

A spring over would raise the front end some and I think would look good at the same time. My car was very low when I bought it and I put two pieces of aluminum under the spring that gave me two and a quarter inches lift but it shows up not to attractive, so I have been thinking along the same lines.

A lot less expensive way to raise the car without replacing the axle, would be to replace the front perch. We can make a perch to raise the car several inches. Yes it will require cutting the old perch off and welding a new one on. It will also require some paint work when finished. When it is all said and done, I figure you could save $400-500

Yup, RPM is dead on! Tube is tube no matter where or even what spring(s) are used.
I've seriously thought about just slicing off and making a new perch but that still leaves me at a very long wheelbase.
By going springover I would be shortening that by aprox 3.5".
Not a huge difference but noticeable and if it wasn't for that I wouldn't even be worried about going spring over. Cut and install a new perch and be done with it! :D

Maybe you could replace the front cross tube with a Model-A front cross member or similar and use the spring over axle. Shortens wheel base and raises it up.

What is your present wheelbase?

Jim

Here's another picture of a spring over front end

2190.JPG

Yup, RPM is dead on! Tube is tube no matter where or even what spring(s) are used.
I've seriously thought about just slicing off and making a new perch but that still leaves me at a very long wheelbase.
Not a huge difference but noticeable and if it wasn't for that I wouldn't even be worried about going spring over. Cut and install a new perch and be done with it! :D

Keeping the wheelbase short is exactly why I decided on a spring-over set up...but I also want to keep it as low as possible, so I have a 5" drop tube axle.

Here's another picture of a spring over front end

2190.JPG

I really like those loop bumpers! Are yhey just fastened to the axle?

Ron can definitely hook you up with a nice perch, and he made me a nice set of steering arms to get my tie rod up and behind the axle. These are for Chevy but I'm sure he makes the ford style too. Ackerman is correct. These are mine. Pay no attention To the body all jacked up. It's just sitting on the high kick. Intending to chrome the tie rod with the headlights above it to kind of mimick the model A headlight bar, but that will show you where your tie rod would be with those style arms. Don't know if the spring over would put your perch in the way of the tie rod. It may actually go behind the perch. Just giving you some ideas to kick around.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

DSCN01971.jpg
httpH://i1
DSCN01951.jpg
DSCN01961.jpg

Here is my springover front end on a 93" wheelbase T. Very simple and effective, lots of room for tie rod, shocks, etc. and works great.

Haha...yeah Butch I know Ford did it for a few years but they also used an I beam axle with that famous smile in it! I actually have several original axles and have thought about using one but the required changes to allow that seem a bit too extensive to make it worth the effort. I'll have to get different brakes and a new spring etc.

Francis, thats the exact problem I'm having. You can see the ugly blocks even in my little avatar picture!

I'm not really interested in hiding the spacer blocks either T-test, as the perch is basicly in my way at this ride height (and also due to spring behind) and prevents me from running a rear mounted tie rod to get a better Ackerman effect. It's possible, with the increased ride height, that I may even be able to run the tie rod under the frame and thru the radius arms...although I'm not really desperate to get to that point. To the rear and above the perch I think will be fine.

Potvin...nice work there but I want to stay with the cross spring. Despite me wishing to change stuff for clearance it all DOES work great as it sits and I like the older look it has.

Fletcherson, that looks pretty good and is the kind of pic I was hoping for. Thanks!
Would it be possible to post one from farther back so the tires and more of your car is visible?
Kinda like my avatar?

Thanks guys!!!

This is the best I can do at present. As you can see, it is in a state of disarray. I am in the middle of re designing the steering box location and adding front brakes, etc. Hope this helps!

Geezzz guys! Some really great pics of some interesting setups and cars...and people say they all look alike? I don't think so! LoL

Jim...my wheelbase sits at 112" because the original build of the car featured a 6-71 Blown 427 which needed Gilmer belt clearance...and then Fitzee extended the frame an additional 10" to allow for the 27 style cowl stretch.
The result is that things are a little too spread out from the firewall forward for my taste. I'd be really happy at 106-108" I think. Don't want to reinvent the car, just tighten up the visuals a bit and gain a bit more road clearance at the oil pan.

409T...I think your car pretty much nails how my front will look with a springover and I like it. Your spring is about the same width as mine and the radius arm bracket to frame spacing pretty close to mine as well.
After Christmas I'm gonna go ahead and do a mock up with mine and then cut out the new adapter plates so everything can bolt together.

Fletcherson...your car looks like its gonna be a beast once you get it back together!

RPM makes some great stuff at a fair price for sure Dale. I was looking at those arms before and if I go with an upper mounting for the tie rod I will likely give Ron a call. Pretty sure he will leave the Heim joint holes undrilled if I requested as I MAY need to shorten up the distance to the kingpin a tiny bit for headlight stand clearance.

Guys...your cars are awesome! Really glad I requested some pics for this!!! :D

I really like those loop bumpers! Are yhey just fastened to the axle?

Yes. There is a short neck, 2" or so, sticking out the back of the of the brace that is in the center of each oval. That neck has a curved flange on the other end that wraps around and bolts to the face of the axle. I'd get you a picture, but the car is vacationing at a friend's house in Tucson.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back