Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Starter wiring

Well I am back again, I decided to replace the starter with an oem type to fix the problem. Now I am completely confused, I have spark to the plugs but the engine will not start. I checked the ignition module per the Mallory distributor check specs and it is fine. I have replaced the distributor, rotor, module and cap with no luck. I have checked and rechecked the timing and it is dead nuts on number one on compression stroke. I have 7lbs of fuel pressure so that is not the problem. I replaced the ballast resistor with no luck. I also bought a new coil that goes with the unilite distributor that requires no resistor, still no luck. Also went so far as to replace the plug wires, still no luck. Anybody got any ideas for this dumb a???????. Thanks. Oh by the way, it has gears for the timing not a chain so the idea of it jumping a tooth is out also. This engine is brand new with 20 minutes of run time. HELP

Makes you wonder why we call this fun doesn't it?
Must have missed something. Start all over, gritted teeth optional. Since we know the engine run OK once we can know its something we done changed since that isn't right. Take the plugs out. Turn the engine by hand/wrench and make sure it feels nice and free just in case something dumb has happened in there, pull the valve covers and make sure everything is going up and down. Put covers back on.
Check;(eliminate in turn)

1/ No 1 cylinder is on compression stroke.(both valves up)
2/ Rotor in distributor points at #1 plug lead in cap.
3/ Rotor indexes on firing order as it turns in the correct direction, i.e. rotor points at the correct plug lead in turn.(check twice)
4/ Crank engine and check timing with light, ignition fires about 1/8" before TDC mark.(and on the compression stroke, right)
5/ Look down carb throat and check accelerator pump squirts when you open the throttle to make sure you have fuel. Replace air cleaner before something small falls into engine.
6/ If the sparks happen at the right cylinder at the right time and theres fuel in there it'll fire right on up, so put the plugs back, check the plug leads index correctly just once more so you don't launch the air cleaner into low earth orbit and crank her off.

If you have any women around they will probably come and look when they hear it, so this is when you need to adopt that "ah, thought thats what it was all along" not surprised type look.

One other thing, to add to Wild Mangos list. Make sure you haven't adjusted the valves too tight.

Well I have finally got the job done. I replaced the plugs, (badly fouled from trying to start it) found an open in a wire that goes thru the floor to the fuse block, and purchase an oem type starter, crossed my fingers, hit the starter and holy s--- it fired right up. Now all I have to do is adjust the timing a little and all should be good to go. Thanks again.:D

t-4-2 said:
Well I have finally got the job done. I replaced the plugs, (badly fouled from trying to start it) found an open in a wire that goes thru the floor to the fuse block, and purchase an oem type starter, crossed my fingers, hit the starter and holy s--- it fired right up. Now all I have to do is adjust the timing a little and all should be good to go. Thanks again.:D

And everyone breathed a sigh of relief! :thumbsup:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back