Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Starter issue

I know it is a NEW starter, but it sounds as if it is bad. Replace/TEST and replace battery cables and get a braided ground cable to run from starter bolt to frame. I have seen the starter ground through the shifter cable because it (starter) wasn't properly grounded. Things tend to heat up when too small of cable is used and it will melt/ burn down all associated with it.

Grounding the starter sounds pretty easy and it sure can't hurt. I might try another starter just in case. If they are both good, then some lucky fellow forum member can pick up a almost new starter in the classified section. :)

In fact, when I get further along, I am going to inventory all my duplicate stuff and put all of it up for sale.

I had the same problem some years ago. Pulled the starter. Took it to NAPA to have tested. The guy put it on the tester and sure enough it tested bad. I bought a new one and thought I was in business. Installed it and had the same problem. I took it back and had the guy test it. Sure enough that one tested bad, too. Turned out the tester was bad! A new ground cable from the battery negative to the engine block took care of the problem.

I recently procured another used diesel truck and after changing batteries and the starter decided to clean the battery cable connections... worked like new. Lesson? Don’t overlook the simple stuff.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back