Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Steel Beds..

Brucer

any of you guys have any pictures of steel beds i'm looking for pics of 30's and 40's steel beds..

i have a steel ford bucket, it was originally a truck and turned into a T-bucket, i made a steel bed for it , but i just dont like what i made..

i need ideas.. i figure i want the rolled top, so i figure get 2 pcs of sheetmetal and have a small angle bent on the top edge about 2" wide then take like a 3/4" piece of round tubing and weld on the leading edge to fabricate the rolled edge.. i would rather find some old bedsides i could cut down and make them out of that... anyone have any ideas?

something like this, but i would make mine about half that long.
http://images.rodandcustommagazine....c_06_z+42_ford_pickup_and_34_ford_pickup+.jpg

this one seems a lil long for what i'm shooting for also
http://images.rodandcustommagazine.com/featuredvehicles/0501rc_02_z+1929_ford_roadster_pickup+.jpg

i like this one but i think the rear wheels need to be centered up to the side of the bed
1934 Ford Pickup Photo

i think i mighta found it.. i checked these pictures out, i believe this is rod and customs ad car on there lil subscription things that we all love to count as they fall from the magazine while we read. i think this car is near perfect!!
0509rc Pinkee 02 Z Photo

seems like most beds i see are either to long or to short, maybe i'm too picky, even thought of making a bed with some small fins on it dunno i'll just have to play with it and see what i figure out i guess..

Look for some pics of the Ala-Cart by George Barris i think that will be close to what you want but it is to long.

Here's a bed I built a couple of years ago for my '29 roadster pick up project. It's made from 16g. steel except for the stake pockets and the rear U-channel. They are 10g. It's 34" long and 38" wide. The beads were rolled with a HF machine. The only pieces that were over the counter parts were the tailgate straps. Everything else was hand formed.

29rdsrpuproj004Small.jpg

29rdsrpuproj005Small.jpg

29rdsrpuproj003Small.jpg

29rdsrpuproj002Small.jpg

It really wasn't hard to do once I figured out the assembly process.

Ron

howd you bend the u-channel piece that wraps around the rear of the bed?

as ive looked at beds this was the only problem i seen i would have probably.. the other was rolling the top lip of the bedsides..

any pointers on both?

I like it!!

I picked up a '32 bed a week or so ago. thinkin' about trimming it down for the C-cab

Vance

Youngster said:
Here's a bed I built a couple of years ago for my '29 roadster pick up project. It's made from 16g. steel except for the stake pockets and the rear U-channel. They are 10g. It's 34" long and 38" wide. The beads were rolled with a HF machine. The only pieces that were over the counter parts were the tailgate straps. Everything else was hand formed.

29rdsrpuproj004Small.jpg
29rdsrpuproj005Small.jpg
29rdsrpuproj003Small.jpg

It really wasn't hard to do once I figured out the assembly process.

Ron

Mr Ron...

Your fabrication skills are awesome! Very nice indeed... very nice. Wow!

For the rear U-channel and the front stake pockets, I started out with 4 pieces of 10g. hat channel 4' long. the U-channel was made up of the bottom, (under the tailgate) and the stake pockets as 3 separate pieces. I cut the vertical sides out of the bottom channel and shaped the curve between it and the stake pockets. Then made templates of the missing sides and welded them in.

Here's a quick sketch;

29rdsrpuprojSmall.jpg

I've included a cross aection of the bed sides too.

If I were to do this again, I would use 12g. instead of 10g.

Very nice work Ron, :rofl:

thanks very much youngster..

just a quick question.. i cant read the angle on the sketch of the bedside.. crappy monitor :rofl: i think i got everything else 3inch on the top and 3/4 on the 2 smaller bends at the top. just cant quite make out the angle though..

The angle is 120 degrees. Sorry, It was just a quick sketch. If you have more questions, ask and you will receive.

Ron

I should add..if you are building a bed to stock diamentions, Start with a tailgate first. it will answer alot of questions. I got a steel one from Speedway for one of my other projects and then built the 'gate for the '29. My box is 2" or 3" narrower because of the body.

Ron

thanks youngster..

i was on the hamb and found a complete build up of an A bed with blueprints and diagrams and he done a walk through on the assembly...might be something someone else might be interested in. if nothing else be nice to have them for your blueprint/sketch drawer..

I do have sketches of the pieces however I don't have a scanner at this time. If you have a tailgate, go to Sacramento Fords web site and look at the pics of the individual parts. you can figure out dimentions from there. I'll see if I can find a way to post my sketches and notes.

Ron

Good luck with Last Refuge ...there was a thread on the HAMB where one guy waited 5 months for his box. Another waited a year and had to go to court to get his money back.

Ron

I bought a Last Refuge box for my Model A pickup. It took about 3 phone calls and 4 months, came in parts, not assembled. Two sides, the front, and the U channel is what they called a "Box".

Just my experience,,,

Corley

They really aren't that hard to build. I bought a cheap Habor Freight bead roller and beefed it up a bit. The paneles can be made on a sheet metal press forund in most heating shops but if you can have them done on a break press you can hold the dimentions better.

Brucer, the parts you bought where made on a break press.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back