Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Steering arm clearance

I forgot to mention that you will also possibly have to move the drag link to the inside of the pitman arm, to help clear the front tire in hard turns...

Thanks for picking that up, I noticed that it looked a bit close yesterday when I got it all bolted together. If push comes to shove I can make a longer upper steering arm to move it back a bit.

Once I get the rims back from being powder coated, I can pick up some tires and really check to see what will clear.

Steering is complete. Yes its scale you are seeing. I was told it would be just fine using the stuff I am using that's why I used 3/8's stock.

On to the pics:

I finished up the arms, made up my tierod, mounted the steering box and made the drag link. I used 1 inch .219 wall DOM for the tierod/drag link.

30%20July%202010%20001.jpg

Drag link is parallel to the hairpins: sitting at 5 degrees right now, Once I get a different spring things should level out a bit more
30%20July%202010%20002.jpg

Everything clears throughout the range of motion. Though I will have to work on some steering stops, it tags the shackle at full lock.

30%20July%202010%20003.jpg

30%20July%202010%20004.jpg

Drivers side:
30%20July%202010%20005.jpg

Passenger side:
30%20July%202010%20006.jpg

Its finally starting to look like something other then a pile of parts :)

30%20July%202010%20007.jpg

30%20July%202010%20008.jpg

30%20July%202010%20009.jpg

Great job on the frontend i like the way you have the spring behind the axle and i am wanting to do that to mine but i may have to buy different spindles mine are 37 to 41 model but they have the arms out they back and at one time had cross steering but now since i got them i have to have the spring on the top to allow the tie rod to clear.
But really you got a great setup!!!!Vince

In one of the photos on the axle looked like some pin holes. I would worry about that first.

You made me go and look over the axle, nope no pin holes, some slag/spatter but no holes.

As for the vroom vroom sounds, nope not me, never gonna admit it...HAHA.

Right now its back to just a chassis. I never did post updated pictured of the straightened pitman arm. Guess I should get around to taking more pics.

Keeper, I'm getting ready to fabricate my steering arms. How many inches is it from the centerline of your axle/kingpin to the hole for your tierod?
I'm using sprint car spindles and have plotted my akerman on the floor and wanted a little bit of an idea what lengths to start with on the arms.

Sorry I missed this. I did not end up making steering stops as I found they were not needed. Though I never really had to crank the steering full tilt to pull into anywhere.

As for the measurements let me go take some and I will post em up.

Need to install the wheel and tire on the drivers side to see just how much turning angle you end up with before the tire hits the drag link, you will probably put the drag link to the inside of the Pitman arm... All depends on wheel offset... A new spring for more clearance??? is that a taller spring??? That trailer spring will not let the frame go down much at all now...

I have two new front springs sitting waiting for me to finally admit its winter and I cannot drive it anymore!

I bought one with standard eye and one reversed. I will put them both on to see which I like better, then sell the other.

I did end up running the draglink on the inside of the pitman arm and I also made a longer main steering arm as the one in these pictures was to short to allow for wheel clearance.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back