Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

steering arm, tie rod question

That's kind of "appearence for appearence sake " Bill , extra effort / parts for no benefit ..dave

The benefit is as you noted, appearance. After all isn't appearance a large part of what these cars are all about? Plus the frequent reasons for going with friction shocks is a preference for their appearance...or a dislike for the appearance of the hydraulic shock set up.

From Wikipedia: The damping rate for frictional dampers has less than ideal behavior for car suspension. An ideal suspension would offer more damping to greater suspension forces, with less damping at low speeds for a smoother ride. Frictional dampers though have a mostly constant rate. This is even greater when stationary, owing to stiction between stationary plates. For larger bumps the damping may even be reduced. This is particularly a problem for fast driving, when repeated high forces may cause the friction plates to heat up and lose their efficiency.

Now with the limited travel of our suspensions I'm not sure if this "less than ideal behavior" is a big deal. Speedway has some nice looking friction shocks: Speedway Friction Shocks
I might even try some just to see what happens.

"Ideal suspension"...I think we can all agree that our usual style of suspension is closer to "buckboard' than race car. LoL :D

The saving grace is the lightness of the vehicle and the stiff suspension making the car "feel" as if its on rails in normal street driving. I doubt if anyone would feel as confident in their T bucket handling after a flat out day at the track with cars that DO handle properly!

I'm quite happy with the driveability of my T as it sits though.
I have no thoughts of running it on any kind of track etc so ultimate handling isn't a priority. I just want it stable and safe in normal driving and able to handle some long distance highway miles as well.

I hope nobody is reading into my comments that hydraulic shocks don't belong on a T.
I certainly do not mean that...and I've seen quite a number of cars with them that looked good.
Some that the use of tube shocks seemed to actually enhance the looks of the vehicle!
It's all a personal preference thing...not a right or wrong and thats it!
I'm just happy with my own version of friction shock and how they worked out for me! ;)

If I had the fabrication ability, I'd try my hand at building a friction shock looking lever set up that would bolt to the outside of a frame rail, that would operate a hydraulic tube shock positioned along the inside of the frame rail

Maybe something like this:
no3YC5IV0Y0tlmzl9sMPLre9gsFx-jTSCKgZBaEhwyKaz6SD66cUMQMTYwMkg-smrc5wPwq2Uj0rvQITdvKJfut9Vohcf5znUBFjyy3KZz-6ytReW3ResKv9YdtAE2RJezdnbep0Mpy1z3eN1-52Q1mpmxNOZLpOw-EPPrfACnKFrfp-_ehUotM0Sh7taRhrpxPAeecjjGQUIepftG8drpnb3ZpMZ72bpI-bC80jwXUmO2JA_WYGm8nBv_CybMRyTzxqeLCASAtUWJ_a0qxmuYAtXtALoDnquTm_0XD4u-R12N6WgJ-XxV0oM0Eb9aOwA8PtBh-BA88VTOInEaV5IYwF7aO7_omqknsu-y-DPii4nic6DE96GCmwGMozm11Z-i2KHYFO9N7EAjP3JAOCb9Iif5y_3gggxXxV97QlQLnz6JgjK9nTpaUn76HFdm5za9BXzPNFoyB97TrEFoNISrKsCsabfsVG84uzxjkDPhpm7rvKvfBNatDkNJb8FiPacCIncfdv1MbSdIrvenIkUJasd9dhEmPOliTJQ_vVeZs=w728-h262-no

One of the bucketeers did this a while back. It's on my bucket's bucket list.

"Ideal suspension"...I think we can all agree that our usual style of suspension is closer to "buckboard' than race car. LoL :D

The saving grace is the lightness of the vehicle and the stiff suspension making the car "feel" as if its on rails in normal street driving. I doubt if anyone would feel as confident in their T bucket handling after a flat out day at the track with cars that DO handle properly!

I'm quite happy with the driveability of my T as it sits though.
I have no thoughts of running it on any kind of track etc so ultimate handling isn't a priority. I just want it stable and safe in normal driving and able to handle some long distance highway miles as well.

I hope nobody is reading into my comments that hydraulic shocks don't belong on a T.
I certainly do not mean that...and I've seen quite a number of cars with them that looked good.
Some that the use of tube shocks seemed to actually enhance the looks of the vehicle!
It's all a personal preference thing...not a right or wrong and thats it!
I'm just happy with my own version of friction shock and how they worked out for me! ;)

Yes, in the end I have to say that as long as it's safe, what works for you on your car is fine.

My mind set is to go for the best handling that can be attained within the format (in this case solid front axle), available budget, and in last place aesthetics. I guess that comes from a background of fun handling but relatively low power sports cars. For me, once I was settled on a solid front axle, there was no choice other than a 4-bar set up. I love the looks and simplicity of a hairpin set-up...and the same for a drilled split wishbone set-up...but the 4-bar set up would give better handling without too much additional cost. For me, 4-bar for the win!

Yes, in the end I have to say that as long as it's safe, what works for you on your car is fine.

My mind set is to go for the best handling that can be attained within the format (in this case solid front axle), available budget, and in last place aesthetics. I guess that comes from a background of fun handling but relatively low power sports cars. For me, once I was settled on a solid front axle, there was no choice other than a 4-bar set up. I love the looks and simplicity of a hairpin set-up...and the same for a drilled split wishbone set-up...but the 4-bar set up would give better handling without too much additional cost. For me, 4-bar for the win!

Ahhh...but you've thrown in a game changer! 4 Bar!
Now you have the potential for greater articulation and suspension movement.
I would try quite hard to use hydraulic tube shocks there myself.
My posts made a point of saying "tube axle and hairpins". A much tighter configuration. ;)

i looked at the cantalever style shocks on national t bucket alliance. wonder how many t's are running this set up and how expensive?

No clue on that count.

If I were to go with an alternative shock set-up...and if I had more than 2 brain cells firing before I started acquiring suspension components...I'd have gone with a pair of MG-B rear lever shocks for use on my front suspension.
DSCN6264.JPG

The lever action and rebuildability of friction shocks meet the dynamic dampening of hydraulic tube shocks...plus there are knob adjustable versions available.

Where my brain cells were not up to snuff is that I have a cousin with several sets that I could have gotten a set for next to or actually $0.

Ahhh...but you've thrown in a game changer! 4 Bar!
Now you have the potential for greater articulation and suspension movement.
I would try quite hard to use hydraulic tube shocks there myself.
My posts made a point of saying "tube axle and hairpins". A much tighter configuration. ;)

Since I didn't think of the MG-B shocks, what I have for the front are 4.25" total travel adjustable low pressure gas shocks, and a mono-leaf spring on a 5" drop tube axle. Someday I hope to get this abomination together enough to be able to tell you how it all works

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back