Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Steering Box Lubricant

Bennett

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I pulled my Corvair steering box last night because I wanted to make backlash/play adjustment on the bench. Once I made the adjustment, I decided to top off the lubricant but to my surprise I found that it didn't have gear lube but rather it has a grease like lubricant. Has anyone seen this before? Is this normal? My 1961 Corvair shop manual spells it out as a special formulated lubricant but doesn't get any more specific than that.
I added a couple of photos for clarity.
Thanks in advance for any help.
IMG_0603_zpsmcsevezz.jpg

IMG_0604_zps4b67d27s.jpg

I don't know anything about corvair boxes - I bet RPM is the expert, but I just wanted to say that your fab table is sweet!

I don't know anything about corvair boxes - I bet RPM is the expert, but I just wanted to say that your fab table is sweet!

Thanks Ben. I made two identical so now no project is too long. Both have staggered 1/2-13 threaded holes and Ø3/4 liner bushings every 1-1/2".

I have had "0" or "00" grease recommended. "00" is considered semi-fluid and will flow well into the balls and be carried to the top of the worm better than thicker greases. When warm/hot it will thin even further.

Thicker greases tend to simply get pushed aside and a hole is created that the worm nut moved back and forth in.

Thanks guys for the info!:confused: I feel better about what I found now. I don't know why I was expecting to find a gear oil but I was.:cautious::thumbsup:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back