Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Steering Column length?

oino

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I'm ready to buy a steering column.
I used a broom handle, and my steering wheel and measered it.
I tried 35" first. Was to long. So I took it down to 33". Lot better.
So now I'm not sure if I should go with a 30", 32", or 33" column.

How much is U-Joint and the steering wheel adapter going to add to that?

You need to allow for any steering wheel offset and diameter. Also deduct for the steering shaft coupler most are a couple of inches. My steering shaft is 28 inches and i have a long body. The steering wheel adapter can be 2-4 inches as well.I have thought my steering shaft may be a bit long at 28 inches.

I'm ready to buy a steering column.
I used a broom handle, and my steering wheel and measered it.
I tried 35" first. Was to long. So I took it down to 33". Lot better.
So now I'm not sure if I should go with a 30", 32", or 33" column.

How much is U-Joint and the steering wheel adapter going to add to that?

I have a CCR long body and frame. My steering column is 28".

I'm using a spirit body and frame.
Spirit, said they use a 35" column.
But they sit up high.
If I go 30" then if the u-joint adds 2", and wheel adapter adds 2"
That would put me at 34".
Does the u-joint add 2" or just an 1" after you slide it on the column and the box?

Also i think spirit cross steers with a vega box so that might be the extra length. I would do what spirit recomends they have made one or two of these cars.

Rooster, I have seen oino's bucket and IIRC the steering box was really close to the body, not like ex-junks 27. i may be wrong, but I don't think oino's car is cross steering.

John

unlike spirits cars where you ride up high in it.
My seats are mounted low. Only 2" off the floor. And I have long arms. :wow:

I'll post some pics. :hot:

This is with the bar cut at 33"
Also the steering box to the firewall is all most 12"

[attachment=3708:steering 2.JPG]

oino, what ever is comfortable is what is comfortable. Was I wrong about the cross steer thing ? Is the body on for good ? Have you figured out why the front suspension has no travel ? Maybe the front panhard link ?

Lookin' good, John

This is with the bar cut at 33"
Also the steering box to the firewall is all most 12"

[attachment=3708:steering 2.JPG]

What you have pictured "looks" to be at a comfortable length and angle. The main thing is, how does it feel with you in the seat? If you make it too long it will look goofy and will be uncomfortable also. Always remember ergonomics when designing anything for your interior.

Jim

I like it where it sits. :wow:
My thing is.
What length column to get if I want to keep the 33" or even 34" should be fine.

If I get a 30" column and the U-joint adds 2" and the Wheel adapter add 2". Then I'm good

Jim, from the looks of your pictures in the gallery the steering wheel in the 27 is relatively flat with the column more parrallel to the floor. How did you achieve that positioning? Did the extended cowl help ? How many support points are there for the column ?

John

P.S. oino, we need pictures of you in the car behind the wheel to really determine if you are comfortable. Only your friends will tell you the truth. LOL

Jim, from the looks of your pictures in the gallery the steering wheel in the 27 is relatively flat with the column more parrallel to the floor. How did you achieve that positioning? Did the extended cowl help ? How many support points are there for the column ?

John

P.S. oino, we need pictures of you in the car behind the wheel to really determine if you are comfortable. Only your friends will tell you the truth. LOL

John, my car is actually a '23-'25 style body but when we made the body we extended the cowl 6" by making a '26-'27 style cowl. We did this not only to get more leg room but because I like the look of the later model cowl but I still prefer the narrower early style turtle deck. (I kid some people and tell them that it is a '26 prototype.) There are two points of suspension on the column, one at the dash and one at the firewall. I would give you an angle measurement but I have the car all torn apart for a redo of the paint.

Jim

P.S. My steering wheel is not completely flat, it has about a 2" dish to it.

I was going to get one of these kits.
Anyone know if it will work with a flaming river column.

[attachment=3710:grt-3196.jpg]

I was going to get one of these kits.
Anyone know if it will work with a flaming river column.

[attachment=3710:grt-3196.jpg]

Yes, but your wheel better have a littlesome dish with that one. I have the same one (Grant) and have a flat 4 spoke bell-style wheel on a flaming river 28" tilt column. My turn signal lever is a bit close to the wheel. I will be replacing it with a taller one made by flaming river for a flat wheel. The flat wheel adapter is longer so there is no interference issues with the levers and the extra inch or two will actually make my driving position better and close to the mocked up one. One lesson I learned--mock it up with the wheel and adapter that you'll really be using! :thumb:

Mockup wheel:

Bens2773.jpg

Actual wheel:

steering-sm.jpg

There are alot of factors for determining lenghth of column. First,the seats need to be finished and the steering wheel needs to be picked out. Know you can calculate (guess) @ what lenght you will need. Steering wheel adapters will add to it,just depends on who's you use.U-joints add @ 1 1/2 " or a coupler @ 1/4" What works for you may not work for a 5 1/2 foot Mexican, one size does not fit all!
I have a 28" Flaming Rivers for my CCR long body. It can be shortened by removing the plastic bushing and cutting down the column and shaft.

There is a pic of that adapter in the Speedway catalog and it says it will fit 69-94 GM and Ididit and Flaming Rivers

Does that adapter add to it?
It doesn't look like it does.

If it don't. Then I'm going with a 32". With the u-joint that puts me at a good 33 1/2
:thumb:

Does that adapter add to it?
It doesn't look like it does.

If it don't. Then I'm going with a 32". With the u-joint that puts me at a good 33 1/2
:thumb:

not much...I think your plan of 32" sounds right.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back